Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Snow and more snow

WbranchNovember 17th, 2014, 6:25 pm
York & Starlight PA

Erie County where I do most of my steelheading is forecast to get between 18" and 28" over the next 36 hours. I guess I'm going to be staying home for awhile.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
FalsiflyNovember 18th, 2014, 10:06 am
Hayward, WI.

Matt, some of the best fishing I've ever had was during a blizzard.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
WbranchNovember 18th, 2014, 12:20 pm
York & Starlight PA

Yes, two years ago I was at Twenty Mile, right down at the mouth, the weather was terrible and I had the last 100 yards of the creek to myself for six hours. Many, many fresh fish were coming in and I hooked dozens of various size chrome from 4# - 9#. The problem for me is it is hard to get around when there is 24", or more, of snow on the ground and it I might get stranded, or stuck up there, if the roads are covered.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
OldredbarnNovember 18th, 2014, 1:25 pm
Novi, MI

The problem for me is it is hard to get around when there is 24", or more, of snow on the ground and it I might get stranded, or stuck up there, if the roads are covered.

Matt,

Wise move...You can always tie some more flies or read something new by the fire...Prepare for you next trip in better conditions. No point taking undue risk.

I had buck fever at the old Buffalo Ford on the Yellowstone this past summer and nearly dunked two of us trying to get across to some feeding fish...Then it started to hail...I looked up and the clouds seemed almost low enough to touch and were rolling around...I was in, "just one more cast" mode...I could hear my buddy's calling out for me to leave the river, and BAM! A huge lightening bolt right on the opposite bank...I waded for shore as quickly as I could...

Those fish will still be there the next time for both of us.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.