Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Hexagenia orlando

This topic is about the Mayfly Genus Hexagenia

These are huge mayflies. Hexagenia limbata, by far the most important species, is the second largest mayfly in the United States. The largest is its close relative, Litobrancha recurvata, which until recently was also in the genus Hexagenia.

Two minor species, Hexagenia atrocaudata and Hexagenia rigida, may be noticed later in the season than limbata.

Read each species page for emergence and other details.

There are 28 more specimens...

The Discussion

CurtisFebruary 29th, 2008, 3:05 pm
Posts: 2Does anyone have any hatch dates for hexagenia orlando in the Central Florida area? Several lakes near me have populations and I am gathering data. I have photos and one hatch record.
TaxonFebruary 29th, 2008, 9:33 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Curtis-

The Mayflies of Florida by Lewis Berner and Manuel L. Pescador contains seven pages discussing Hexagenia orlando. Although this species is known to emerge in Florida from March to December, peak emergences are said to be in July and August. Also mentioned are the tendency of brooding in this species, with 7 to 10 days between broods during the peak emergence period with little emergence activity in between, and that the subimagoes emerge during the night and very early morning.

To me, this sounds like a very difficult emergence to hit just right, but sure hope you will share your attempts with us.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
CurtisFebruary 28th, 2011, 2:35 pm
Since this original post I have recorded some more observations. I have a spreadsheet that I can up load to you, if you wish. You can e-mail me at: cduffield@greenwayelecsvc.com.
TaxonFebruary 28th, 2011, 10:55 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Curtis-

Got your spreadsheet, which documents Hexagenia orlando emergence on a specific Florida lake over a multi-year period. Thanks for sharing.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Jmd123March 1st, 2011, 11:25 am
Oscoda, MI

One of the fly fishing magazines had an article on warmwater fly fishing destinations near Orlando a few years ago - don't remember which one. The idea was places to go while you and your family are visiting Disneyland. Hmmmmm, bass & big sunfish on a Hex hatch...sign me up! Sounds especially good during early March in Michigan! Those redbreast sunnies put up a good fight on the long rod - I caught lots of them while living in Georgia and Texas. Can't even imagine what a Florida bluegill feels like - "freshwater permit"!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
SALTYQUILLNovember 20th, 2020, 11:18 am
Myakka City florida

Hey Curtis are you still looking for info on Hexagenia Orlando? I just moved to Florida from having a fly shop in Colorado. I came upon a Hex hatch here on Lake Manatee in Florida in 2020. It was there for two days in early May. Then it was sporadic after that for a week. The first day it was huge and lots of Blue Gills and Tilapia gorging on them.I also saw some on Lake Livingston in early May. I would love to know what you have found out. I have some good pictures I could share.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.