Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Baetis Temperature

PaulRobertsMarch 19th, 2012, 11:20 am
Colorado

Anyone have a bead on water temperatures associated with the first Baetis emergences?
TaxonMarch 19th, 2012, 1:48 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Paul-

Assuming you are referring to Baetis tricaudatus, on this page, Jason indicates the 1st brood of the year will emerge after the water temperature reaches 40 degrees.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
PaulRobertsMarch 19th, 2012, 2:11 pm
Colorado

Yes. Thank you, Roger.
OldredbarnMarch 19th, 2012, 3:48 pm
Novi, MI

Assuming you are referring to Baetis tricaudatus, on this page, Jason indicates the 1st brood of the year will emerge after the water temperature reaches 40 degrees.

So Roger, what you are saying basically, it's over up here in Michigan then...This freakish year has it in the low 80's today...On March 19th! We fish a small pond here starting on April 1st and normally, at this time, we are wondering if there will still be ice on it! We would all bring our Neo's and long-johns...Not this time...There may actually be swimers out there this year.

Everything could really be turned around this season...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MartinlfMarch 19th, 2012, 4:15 pm
Palmyra PA

The first brood begins to emerge when the water temperature is right, but if my experience is typical, baetis continue to hatch over a period of time, sometimes lasting over a month. They are still hatching here, a month after I saw the first ones this year, and fish are very keyed in on the nymphs, and I would think will continue to be even after the duns are hatched out. So, Spence, get out there and fish.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsMarch 19th, 2012, 4:24 pm
Colorado

I'm wondering about temperature at initiation -when they first appear. Any records Louis, Spence?
GutcutterMarch 20th, 2012, 7:25 am
Pennsylvania

Paul
My records indicate (only two streams in one area, but over 15 years of data) that I have seen size 18 olives (assuming B tricaudatus, I'll try to get a photo this year) beginning at 38 degrees.
Around forty, the hatch really starts to get going and I see fish taking duns. The "peak" is around forty two.
But I don't think that temperature has as much influence as the amount of daylight present on these creeks - one is a spring creek and the other is a spring influenced freestone river. The hatch is present during the same time frame each year with a minor (one to two weeks) variation before or after that magical "date". In warmer years (like this one) they start early (late February), but the peak is always between the second and third week of March. In colder years (like last year) they started the first week of March (38 degrees)
Last year, the peak was the third week of March, (41 degrees) and I expect the same this year. When Bruce/Goose/LastChance/Feathers5 and I get back next week, I'll give an update.
Louis- are you in? Shawn?
Another variable is extreme weather such as rapid run-off, but I suspect that has more to do with actual fishing conditions and the lack of witnesses to the event...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
PaulRobertsMarch 20th, 2012, 12:07 pm
Colorado

Thanks, Tony. My waters are surface water (and snow pack) sourced and it seems the Baetis get going in April here (at the lowest elevations -5500ft). But...I've not been diligent enough to get a really good bead on them. Thanks, again. I'm around 40F now, but so far no sign of emergers. It's still all midges.
MartinlfMarch 22nd, 2012, 8:05 am
Palmyra PA

Tony, I'm in. Don't know which day yet, but Saturday or Sunday.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.