Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Surgery

WbranchFebruary 5th, 2019, 1:54 pm
York & Starlight PA

Well I some great news today. I visited the orthopedic surgeon who was going to perform the right hip replacement on February 25. I hadn't seen him since mid August 2018 when the pain was excruciating. But by September 01 the pain was completely gone. Not one iota of pain and not taking any pain meds.

So when I told him that today he said "Well then since there is no pain there is no reason to put a 75 year old man under general anesthesia to perform an operation that appears to be unwarranted at this time". Hallelujah! He told me that it is conceivable that I won't ever need the surgery but to keep my eyes on the symptoms and as soon as I start to feel any pain and discomfort again it would be time to really have the surgery.

Now I won't be anxious about it any longer and won't be missing the spring steelhead run at the Erie creeks. Am I ecstatic? You bet I am.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PartsmanFebruary 5th, 2019, 5:36 pm
bancroft michigan

Great news Matt, I hope that this is the end hip issues for you, and that you can enjoy fishing pain free although being careful not to get to crazy. Hopefully spring is not to far off and we can get back at doing the thing we here on this web site love doing.
Mike.
Jmd123February 6th, 2019, 7:53 am
Oscoda, MI

CONGRATS Matt!!! Never go under the knife unless you have to! And glad you are pain-free, I've become convinced that aging is all about finding the right pain relief...hope your upcoming fishing season is outstanding!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchFebruary 6th, 2019, 2:55 pm
York & Starlight PA

Thanks Jon, When I heard him say the surgery was no longer necessary I was elated!
MartinlfFebruary 6th, 2019, 4:13 pm
Palmyra PA

Glad to hear it, Matt. I have arthritis in my back, and the pain comes and goes, sometimes giving me remission for years. It's a mystery to me, but I'm always so happy it when it goes away. I hope yours stays gone for good.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
IasgairFebruary 11th, 2019, 3:21 pm
Colorado

That's awesome news Matt. Anytime someone heals or gets cured miraculously is fantastic. I really hope you stay pain free.
WbranchFebruary 13th, 2019, 11:59 am
York & Starlight PA

Iasgair,

I really hope you stay pain free.

I consider the cure quite miraculous. Thank you for the sentiments. The surgeon told me not to "be a hero". Meaning it the pain does resurface I shouldn't try to hide it or dose up with pain killers. He said if the pain does come back, and doesn't go away, then I have to have the hip replacement. But he also said I may go another ten years pain free. I'll be 85 by then! Hope I am still vertical.
PartsmanFebruary 14th, 2019, 3:36 pm
bancroft michigan

Matt, Im pretty sure a tough old dude like you will be around for good long while, and that's a good thing because we need you here!

Mike.
WbranchFebruary 17th, 2019, 5:21 am
York & Starlight PA

Good morning Mike,

you will be around for good long while, and that's a good thing because we need you here!

I hope so! I saw my PCP on Friday and he said "Matt your are looking good and in very good health". About a year ago he told me, based on the lack of typical aging diseases, I'd likely live into my mid 90's. I attribute that to the peace, tranquility, and pleasure sixty years of fly fishing have provided me.
Jmd123February 19th, 2019, 6:24 am
Oscoda, MI

Outstanding, excellent, most wonderful!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchFebruary 19th, 2019, 7:26 pm
York & Starlight PA

Jon,

Outstanding, excellent, most wonderful!!!

Yep, it is just awesome! A huge load was lifted off my mind when the surgeon told me and my wife the surgery, at this time, was not necessary. He said I might go through the remainder of my life not needing it. He did say that the severe pain I was experiencing from mid July 2018 to mid August was in all likelihood unrelated to the AVN (Avascular Necrosis) of my right hip. He said the pain would not of gone away if it was AVN but would of stayed and intensified. He said most probably the pain was a resultant of me walking so much over uneven terrain day after day for almost two weeks. After I got home and was walking less due to the pain and taking Tramadol the injury was reduced and pretty much healed on it's own just like a sprain or backache will get better with rest.
Jmd123February 20th, 2019, 5:52 am
Oscoda, MI

"... taking Tramadol..." My late father's favorite painkiller...one night about 1:15 in the a.m. after surgery for a growth on his kidney, my father called me from his hospital bed to "come get me, I feel just fine!" and short of that, bring him his Tramadol. "They won't give me my Ultram, it's in the drawer in the bedside table, bring me some!" This while he has an IV sticking in his arm after having a baseball-sized tumor plucked off the top of his kidney. His male nurse and I had a pretty good laugh after he knocked Dad out cold with a shot of Versed in said IV drip...R.I.P., sweet old man...

Congrats again on avoiding The Knife! May you have many more years of maximum fishing and minimal pain.

Jonathon
WbranchFebruary 21st, 2019, 3:22 am
York & Starlight PA

Tramadol is now considered a Class 1 drug in PA and getting a prescription filled is difficult. You must present a hand written prescription from the administering doctor and he needs to verify it by calling in and providing his special number. It is a very good pain killer and I never got addicted to them. Probably because I did have a level 9 pain for weeks and it did what it is designed to do; trick the pain receptors in my brain.
Jmd123February 21st, 2019, 6:48 am
Oscoda, MI

If you take pain killers strictly for pain, you don't get addicted. It's when you start using them to kill psychological pain that you become a "junkie". I could never get addicted to any opiates because of their nauseating, constipating side effects, and they make me dopey too so how do I get anything done while on them? I generally take 4 ibuprofen, smoke a little plant that is now legal for recreational consumption in Michigan (hence I no longer hesitate to discuss it!), and get in a bathtub full of water, as hot as I can stand it, up to my chin and ears. That will kill 90% of my aches and pains, with no prescription necessary.

Jonathon

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.