Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Grannoms and Blue Quills

Martinlf has attached these 4 pictures to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.9X larger)
This guy looked like he had a mouse in his belly.
This guy looked like he had a mouse in his belly.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.2X larger)
A few more photos.
A few more photos.

Report at a Glance

General RegionPennsylvania
Specific Location"The Narrows" and "The Cottages"
Time of Dayafternoon
Fish Caughtbrowns and brookies
Conditions & HatchesGrannoms in the a.m. Hendricksons and blue quills in the afternoon.

Details and Discussion

MartinlfApril 16th, 2017, 5:58 pm
Palmyra PA

Met up with my buddies Mike and Juraj for some dry fly activity, and we had rising fish all day. At the end of the day, after they had broken down their rods, Mike spotted some fish tucked back against a bank eating blue quills and insisted that I give them a try. The pressure was on. They coached, critiqued, cheered, pulled my fly out of a tree for me, and took some photos. Juraj took some video destined for YouTube as well, and I'll add a link when he gets it up. A great day with two good guys!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123April 16th, 2017, 7:05 pm
Oscoda, MI

NIIIIICE!!!

Your streams look to be in pretty good shape there, Louis. Our rivers are looking like chocolate milk right now, lots of puddles everywhere in the ditches, etc. Gonna be a little while before dry fly fishing in these parts, but with all the rain we've had, should be a fine morel season! Spring at last!!

Jonathon

P.S. Bass and panfish have finally started biting downstate, and 5 wildflowers species are in bloom too. It will slowly make it's way up here over the next two weeks...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchApril 17th, 2017, 1:37 am
York & Starlight PA

Nice Louis! Were there many other anglers fishing? I might run up later this week. I'm having cataract surgery on my right eye this morning and don't know when I will be able to drive again.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfApril 17th, 2017, 1:56 am
Palmyra PA

Jonathon, we had our share of rain a while back, and things are settling down now. Enjoy the mushrooms. Matt, there were guys here and there, but plenty of room on the stream. Best of luck with the surgery.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsApril 18th, 2017, 7:00 am
Colorado

Wonderful! Beautiful early spring brown! Happy fisherman.
OldredbarnApril 18th, 2017, 8:18 pm
Novi, MI

Louis...Nice to see that smile on that face! A little river therapy is good for what ails you, no?! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEALApril 20th, 2017, 10:22 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

nicely done... Jonathon, Spence, and other Michiganders (as well as any coming to fish Hendricksons in Michigan) will be interested to know the first fishable Hendricksons I know of were 4/19 on AuSable main; I had predicted 4/17; so pretty close... It will be heavy in a few more days; soon to mix with black caddis and paraleps...
OldredbarnApril 20th, 2017, 1:58 pm
Novi, MI

nicely done... Jonathon, Spence, and other Michiganders (as well as any coming to fish Hendricksons in Michigan) will be interested to know the first fishable Hendricksons I know of were 4/19 on AuSable main; I had predicted 4/17; so pretty close... It will be heavy in a few more days; soon to mix with black caddis and paraleps...

Tim...Will be headed that way on the 27th...Should be fine, no? ;)

Opening day is suppose to be warm...I saw 73?! What?! No blowing snow mixed with rain and a swollen river, sometimes too dangerous to wade...Every so often a nice one comes along...Tying up some of your henny paraemergers, sir...

Take care! You going to be around all the hoopla next weekend? Are you and JR doing anything? I wouldn't mind buying you two breakfast over at the Grayling Restaurant, or a custard filled and a coffee over at Goodale's! ;)
Yummy!!! My fishing friend and I said it wasn't truly opening day without an omelet over at the GR...

You know that the Grayling Politburo meets at Goodale's...JR is the top potentate...

You know how to get ahold of me. Hope to see you soon.

Spence

Just remembered that JR holds fort over at the library for the opening day festivities...We'll have to liberate him for an hour or two.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123April 20th, 2017, 7:25 pm
Oscoda, MI

Be prepared for high (and cold) waters, Spence. We just had a good soaker and things were already pretty wet, temps in the upper 40s - low 50s...my early trout season will be spent on stillwaters until the streams get safe again, that is if I can find a day without wind! I'm spending all of my weekends downstate taking care of Mom, so the "weekend warriors" (or is it "opening day crazies"?) can have at the chocolate milk - they're predicting showers starting on Wednesday...should be a fine year for mushrooms though!

Jonathon

P.S. Tim, just what are your waters looking like around there? Things are typically spring-high and scary in these parts...nothing I would think about wading!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TNEALApril 21st, 2017, 11:52 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

today the AuSable at Mio is 50.5 degrees with a discharge of almost 2300 cubic feet/sec. A bit stiff for wading....
RogueratApril 23rd, 2017, 1:55 pm
Louis- NICE fish, and I'm just a wee bit envious...!

Just back from the Rogue where things were a mite crowded downriver what with the steelheaders and high but falling, colored water upstream.

I did walk the trail along the river and saw what were possibly Hendricksons coming off here and there, really spotty though.

Finishing up my Hennie boxes with some new, tweaked dubbing blends for the dries- but rain at midweek and again next weekend for 'the opener' so it could be a while before things are normal enough to wade.

Tight lines, all,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Jmd123April 24th, 2017, 12:43 pm
Oscoda, MI

Here's the Oscoda weather forecast for the next week and a half. For those of you coming up north, your weather will be similar to this. I just saw that we are at 47 degrees whereas in Troy where I was this weekend it's 69. We're still pretty cold:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USMI0637:1:US

Waters are dropping though, and clearing up. I might even get in a pre-season session on the Rifle this week if I can squeeze in the time, just to beat the crowds, and with the rain forecasted it might be a little while yet before I go back out on the streams. Ah, but there are lakes and ponds...rain doesn't really mess with them!

Jonathon

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.