Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Looking for info on flyfishing in West Central Pa Dubois area

Flyfisher06June 22nd, 2008, 10:59 am
argyle ny near saratoga

Hello fly fishing friends,I am going out to vacation in Dubois in August my son and I are looking for a few ideas on where to fish and what to bring .I prefer nymphing and Ilike medium to big water. Are there any good rivers which might still have good flows and cool enough water in that area in August. Also does anyone know of any good fly shops to contact out there any help would be appreciated . Thank you Todd
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
LittleJJune 22nd, 2008, 2:41 pm
Hollidaysburg Pa

The clarion is not far from there I'm not sure what parts hold trout and how it is during the summer but it's worth checking out. How far are you willing to travel to fish? If i know that I can help out a little more. In the meantime pick up a PA delorme.
Jeff
GrannomJune 24th, 2008, 5:33 pm
Northwest PA

E.Branch Clarion is a tailwater river and supports trout all year
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Flyfisher06June 25th, 2008, 4:00 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

Hey,thanks guys I was checking out some websites on the Clarion it looked like my type of river I will look into it more . Whats the story with those ghost towns dothey charge you to visit them and are they interesting to kids? Also what about those 30 + bish are the fish there that good? Thank You Todd
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
GrannomJune 26th, 2008, 8:16 am
Northwest PA

Check out Clarion River Adventures photo album and decide for yourself. It will be TOUGH fishing in August. From what I hear, it's tough in May, let alone August. But yes, those are big, wild, fish. E. Branch is a tailwater, so it may be a better choice as far as temps go. Also lower clarion, close to where you will be, is hot for smallies.
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
FfgalAugust 3rd, 2008, 6:21 am
Posts: 1I, too, will be in the Clarion River area from Aug. 9th through the 13th. I'm coming in from State College and willing to travel as far west as Oil City. Looking for flyfishing areas within those boundaries. In need of lodging and recommended restaurants as well. Extra excursion I thought worth seeing was the elk population in Benezett area. Worth the time to do in August or are they not roaming this time of year?

Thanks!
BeardiusAugust 8th, 2008, 10:53 am
Posts: 19A nice small stream to fish in that area is Hick's Run. The water quality is excellent and there are nice populations of rainbows and brookies. There used to be a state campground on the stream. There are a few motels in the Sinnemahoning area close by. The First Fork of the Sinnemahoning is also excellent. It's a larger stream and has excellent populations of larger rainbows. Do some searching using google for motels in that area. Also, Kettle Creek is about a half hour away.
SlateDrake9August 9th, 2008, 5:58 pm
Potter County, PA

A nice small stream to fish in that area is Hick's Run. The water quality is excellent and there are nice populations of rainbows and brookies. There used to be a state campground on the stream. There are a few motels in the Sinnemahoning area close by. The First Fork of the Sinnemahoning is also excellent. It's a larger stream and has excellent populations of larger rainbows. Do some searching using google for motels in that area. Also, Kettle Creek is about a half hour away.

This would be great advice to follow during a season when there is actually water in these streams and that water was below 70 degrees. This area hasn't had any worthwhile rain for quite some time, only storms that run off pretty quickly without doing any good. Stick to the tailwaters and spring creeks until the streams get replenished this fall. Catching trout in these creeks now will equal killing trout.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
BeardiusAugust 15th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Posts: 19Sorry to hear about the low waters in these streams. Hopefully, you'll get some rain soon that will break this drought. It has been very dry in the Everglades the past few years, too.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.