Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > How to find out what to fish for nearby?

Thethrill02January 27th, 2017, 4:37 pm
WbranchJanuary 27th, 2017, 5:29 pm
York & Starlight PA

Well that is about as vague an inquiry as I have ever seen. Where do you live? What state? What do you want to fish for, trout, bass, panfish, catfish, give us a clue. Do you want to fly fish, spin fish? Do you want to fish in moving water, stillwater, or both? Wade or in a boat?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Thethrill02January 27th, 2017, 7:04 pm
Posts: 2Well, I live in California. Im targeting trout on the American River with a fly rod. I'm curious if there's anything I can do to catch some trout at this time, or if I should wait till the spring.
WbranchJanuary 28th, 2017, 11:34 am
York & Starlight PA

Thethrill02 wrote;

I'm curious if there's anything I can do to catch some trout at this time, or if I should wait till the spring.

Sorry mate I don't know anything about fishing is California. Perhaps you could go to a local fishing store or Bass Pro store if one is near you and ask the guys behind the counter. Also try Googling "winter trout fishing on the American River" and see what hits you get. Maybe there are some steelhead in the river now.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TrailmanApril 21st, 2017, 3:12 pm
California

I too live in California and I am wondering myself lol. Since I am new to this also.
Fishing Fun
P_SWAnglerMay 2nd, 2018, 8:11 am
Snowflake, AZ

What I would do is go to Google. Find a stream, river, or lake that you are interested in fishing and google the fishing report. If there are fish in it its likely someone else has fished it before you and written about it. Orvis usually has a pretty decent fishing report on most creeks and rivers. That being said, sometimes there are creeks that nobody knows about. When I lived in Utah I was able to find one that had wild rainbows, and nobody I ever talked to even knew there were fish in it.
Payton Flake
Southwestern Angler
https://mailchi.mp/b48ba05f29a8/southwesternanglerfreereport
Jmd123May 2nd, 2018, 8:31 am
Oscoda, MI

Not sure about CA, but many if not most states will have web pages on their fishing opportunities, as well as rules, regs, license info, etc. I spent a summer in Arizona and before going I went to their state fisheries website for info, and it was very helpful for a state that is on the opposite side of the country from Michigan. Look up "State DNR" or whatever it might be called in CA, and they should have some info on species and etc. for you. Best of luck!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.