Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > 4 wt Rods, Page 2

OldredbarnFebruary 17th, 2015, 10:30 pm
Novi, MI

Winston BIIIx 8.5 or 9'...I've used both, own the latter...In a 4wt.

My old Sage LL 5wt...I've said before its going with me to my grave...Great dry fly rod, and wonderful stick for performing the dark arts of which Louis alludes. ;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MartinlfFebruary 18th, 2015, 10:46 am
Palmyra PA

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Nah. But I'm curious, why would such a technique lead to recoil? A good many folks who don't compete simply find it a fun way to fish.

you gotta give credit to those that seem to catch fish like they are fishing in a barrel.

This is true. I guess?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsFebruary 18th, 2015, 8:14 pm
Colorado

Hmmmm... mebbe the response is to competitive fishing in general. I have the same gut reaction, seeing organized competition (esp with the often associated hype and merchandising) and fishing as mutually exclusive. In my fishing I'm kept plenty occupied competing/rolling with nature, and with myself. Then again, I may be less socially motivated than others.

Staying on topic...

Kyle, check out the Cabela's LSi!
OldredbarnFebruary 18th, 2015, 8:40 pm
Novi, MI

Then again, I may be less socially motivated than others.

:) Me too...
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MartinlfFebruary 18th, 2015, 10:33 pm
Palmyra PA

Yeah, I have the same negative response to competitive flyfishing, but fishing long rods and beadheads with no split shot on a tight line is not a problem for me. Perhaps it's just compartmentalization. Paul, are you familiar with the Cabela's LSi? Mine has become my favorite light line rod.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsFebruary 19th, 2015, 1:06 am
Colorado

I don't like beadheads myself, and only bc I didn't invent them! Rather selfish of me I know. I have few qualms incorporating odd stuff into my tying. But being somewhat less socially motivated perhaps I like thinking for myself. That said, I do fish some beadheads and some patterns I didn’t invent, taking solace in “borrowing” the materials and techniques and doing my own thing with them. Maybe I’ve grown socially a little bit, or, just had to come to terms with the fact that most of my flies involve well trodden ground.

I have two LSi’s. They are brand new in their cases and I haven’t had a chance to use them, beyond casting. They appear to lack nothing: Fast, powerful, light weight (I have the 9’ 5wt and 9’10wt), and actually pretty. I can make good use of them when the time comes. I bought them bc my other rods in those configurations are 2pcers, my LSi’s are 4 so I could travel with them.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.