Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Leader material

RogueratDecember 17th, 2014, 12:03 pm
I did some checking on older posts for this topic, didn't find anything definitive though.

Are there any hard and fast 'rules' on using accepted fly leader material- say, Climax, Maxima, Umpqua and so on- vs. mono such as Trilene XL or XT?
So far the big difference to me is cost- Mono is a lot less.

I'm working up some tapered leaders using Trilene in the appropriate diameters and so far they seem OK, turning over when cast and holding knots well. XT for the butts and XL for the taper, with 'real' tippet material though.

Anyway, I'm hoping this isn't fly-fishing heresy...

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
Kschaefer3December 17th, 2014, 12:12 pm
St. Paul, MN

I got sick of paying for Maxima and Seaguar, so I have been using some other type of flouro I picked up at Gander Mountain. I apologize, I don't remember the brand. I personally do not like it nearly as much, but think it is because it is not good flouro.

Prior to the flouro I don't like, I was using 10 lb Gamma I had from my bassin days. It worked really well.

It really comes down to whether you like the properties of the line. I have had good and bad experiences with non-fly fishing type lines. I don't think this is heresy, although the fly fishing companies want you to believe that so they can make more money.

My experience relates to streamer fishing and heavier lines, so may not apply to dry fly fishing. I think it is applicable to nymph leaders though.
WbranchDecember 17th, 2014, 12:51 pm
York & Starlight PA

I use to use Rio fluorocarbon for both my nymphing and dry fly work on flies #10 - #22. But with Rio at $14 per spool and Orvis at $12 per spool I went back to plain mono in either Rio or Orvis for $5.00 per spool. I have never seen bulk spooled mono, 100 yards or more, where the diameter is as small, for a given break strength, as it is on nylon on tippet spools designed specifically for fly fishing.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RogueratDecember 17th, 2014, 1:03 pm
Matt-

I would agree on that one! 'Real' tippet seems to have greater strength and 'lb-test' rating per given diameter than any Mono I've seen. I'm going to field-test the mono-based leaders (as soon as I can get on the water, that is- too much work and not enough fishing the past few months) to see how they hold up in real-world conditions. I'm still wincing at the cost of Fly-specific leader material, what led me to try the Trilene mono segmented leaders with Cortland or Umpqua tippet.

tight lines,

Roguerat
WbranchDecember 18th, 2014, 3:03 am
York & Starlight PA

On a two week trip to the Missouri I easily go through 30 yards of 5X fluorocarbon. During the coarse of a season I will usually use 3 - 4 spools each of 5X and 6X and a spool of 4X. At $14 per spool that would be a minimum of $98. Way too much money.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfDecember 18th, 2014, 1:28 pm
Palmyra PA

I've gone back and forth on tippet material, using Rio Fluoroflex at times, since one of the best guides I know on the Delaware swears it makes a difference on tough fish. But I really like Puglisi PowerFull tippet material, especially in 5X and lower.

It's exceptionally strong, as Planettrout and WaterStrider indicate.

http://www.waterstrider.com/fishing-gear.htm

https://planettrout.wordpress.com/tag/puglisi-powerful-tippet-material-where-to-purchase/

WaterStrider sells it, and I will probably go back to it this season. It is very inexpensive, compared to Rio, and I've had very good luck with it.

Here's Puglisi's description:

http://www.epflies.com/

If you search the internet you'll find others have had good luck with Puglisi PowerFull. I've tried Stroft and like it OK, but is seems a bit slippery with the Double Davy knot, so I'm less of a fan.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PlanettroutDecember 19th, 2014, 12:08 am
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

I still use Puglisi Mono but have been leaning more recently towards the Stroft GTM . TroutHunter also makes a very good Mono and their Fluoro is exceptional. Please refer to this link for additional information ( cut & paste):

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/tippet-shootout-seaguar-grandmax-trouthunter-orvis-mirage-riopowerflex-pline-dairiki-varivas-sa-climax-maxima-froghair-stoft-umpqua

PT/TB
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Feathers5December 19th, 2014, 9:15 am
Posts: 287Are we just talking dry fly tippet or a mono that can be used for nymphing, too. There, I said it, nymphing. Oh, the horror of it.

Bruce
CrepuscularDecember 19th, 2014, 9:46 am
Boiling Springs, PA

There, I said it, nymphing. Oh, the horror of it.

Bruce

:)
PlanettroutDecember 19th, 2014, 10:23 am
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

I use both mono and fluoro for "the horror of it" and am a disciple of Dave Whitlock's approach to the water column, when it comes to bugs:

< />

...just the way things be...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.