Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > New Fly fishing rod setup, Need help

TroutfisherFebruary 18th, 2015, 3:03 pm
Hey All!
I am looking at setting up a new fly fishing setup. I will be doing mostly small stream fishing like Little Lehigh PA, Big Lehigh, etc. They are pretty small streams. My question is what would you experienced folks recommend as far as rod height, weight, string weight, etc. I am newer to fly fishing. I had a fly rod before but, it was 12' and I didn't like it. Any feedback would be great. Thanks! I want to be ready for opening day!
WbranchFebruary 18th, 2015, 4:48 pm
York & Starlight PA

Troutfisher,

I would recommend an 8' or 8' 6" fly rod for a #5 line. BTW it is called fly line and not string. You need what is called a "weight forward floating" line. With this outfit you will be able to catch trout in all the streams you mentioned.

You didn't mention a budget but Cabela's sells fly fishing combos from about $150 to $250 and that includes the rod, reel, line, backing, and often a tube or case to put the rod into. All you need in a few leaders, a couple of spools of tippet material and the flies.

There is another post in the archives of this forum with the title "Five Must Have Flies" or something like that. Look it up in the archives and you will find a bunch of posts written by the experienced fly fishers on this forum to help you make the right selections.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
FlyflingerFebruary 19th, 2015, 8:56 am
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Troutfisher, you live in a wonderland of fly fishing, much more than my state. PA has a very long and rich tradition of experienced fly anglers, fly fishing innovators, gifted instructors and guides, and bountiful fly shops. The best advice I can give you is find a class that can give you an overall instruction in fly fishing, casting, and selection of equipment. PA has a slew of them available, some close to where you live.

As far as a fly rod appropriate for what you now believe to be small streams, most anglers I know suggest for general trout fishing a nine-foot, five-weight, moderate-fast fly rod. However, you may find a shorter rod and a lighter weight more appropriate if you a certain you'll only fish smaller streams with lots of trees and bushes lining the streams. But why not wait to buy until you expand your knowledge. You may very well find your initial assumption will change. Some shops rent rods for a nominal fee, which would help you make your eventual selection. There are lots of rods available that would not wipe out your overall fly fishing budget and cast and fight fish remarkably well. Postpone your selection of a reel until you make your final selection of a rod.
TroutfisherFebruary 19th, 2015, 9:49 am
Thanks all!! I have a cabellas within an hour and an llbean that offers lessons. I still have some old tippit and leaders to use
MartinlfFebruary 19th, 2015, 2:36 pm
Palmyra PA

You're set, then. Ask them to let you cast some rods in the parking lot (or nearby grass) and pick the one that feels best to you. Go get 'em. That is when this bone chilling cold lets up. Below zero here tonight.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
FlyflingerFebruary 20th, 2015, 4:53 am
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Thanks all!! I have a cabellas within an hour and an llbean that offers lessons. I still have some old tippit and leaders to use

Recommend you throw away your old tippet and leaders. Mono degrades over time, esp. if exposed to UV light. It would be a shame to lose a quality fish because your leader or tippet broke upon a strike. Of course, old tippet works quite well for "long-line release." :-)
TroutfisherFebruary 21st, 2015, 5:43 pm
Yeah I guess I'll get everything new. Hopefully tax return will be enough :)

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.