Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Need help on buying a new fly rod+reel

BverFebruary 17th, 2015, 7:24 pm
nj

I need some help on buying a new fly rod, as my old one snapped. I am not sure what length and weight to get, but I will be fishing mainly smaller streams (10-40ft) in new jersey and pennsylvania if that helps. Looking for this to be my only fly rod, so willing to spend up to $250 on the rod+reel.

Any help on what size/weight/action would be best, as well as any specific rod+reel you recommend is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
MartinlfFebruary 17th, 2015, 8:12 pm
Palmyra PA

See Kyle's post on 4 wt rods. Some of the rods recommended are pricey, but others less so. For smaller streams the reel is basically a line holder, so any you choose should work just fine. A search of Troutnut using the term "rod" will probably bring up some other older threads discussing pros and cons of different rods. Shops and outfitters often offer complete outfits as well.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchFebruary 17th, 2015, 9:15 pm
York & Starlight PA

Bver,

I lived in NJ for many years and fished the Muscenetcong, South Branch of the Raritan, and my "home" stream was Big Flatbrook. I'd recommend one of Cabela's rod, reel, and line outfits with a rod of 8' - 8 1/2'.

I have a Cabela catalog and on page 9 of the 2015 fly fishing book there is a nice combo of rod, reel, weight forward line and backing for $239.99. It is called the Freshwater TLr and it is model #865-4 (8' 6" #5 4 pcs) By buying the combo you will save about $50.00. This rod has a moderate fast action which sounds like it is a good all around rod well but not super fast like some rods where only the tip bends.

Good luck!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
BverFebruary 18th, 2015, 12:35 am
nj

Thanks guys, looking into those now. Ill decide some time in the next week and have it ready for the trout season. I think im between a lefty kreh from TFO, or one of the cabella rods.

Are there any websites online you would recommend for flies (there are no fly shops in my area of nj)

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.