Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > 'Everything old is new again' category...

RogueratOctober 4th, 2017, 6:50 am
This is nothing new, except to me that is- and I recently ran across it while researching means of keeping furled or mono leaders floating in somewhat brisk flows that tended to pull a leader then dry fly under.

'Albolene' moisturizer (check the local pharmacy/everything else stores) works great as a fly floatant and for greasing leaders and tippet. Just a DROP on the fingertip, worked between the fingers to warm it up and thin it some, a really light (really, really light) application to a dry fly and working up the tippet and leader keeps things high and dry for quite a while.

There's an older post in TN from 2011 or so regarding this stuff and that was enough to convince me to try it.

Low and slow in W MI, we're at a -5 inch rain deficit since July 1st and the streams look it. I was on the Rogue Monday night and October Caddis were all over the place; Browns jumping full out of the water to snag the bugs, and I went fish-less after using every pattern I had along. Really, really frustrating...

Next time, there's always next time.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe

RleePOctober 4th, 2017, 9:39 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

A good many years ago (like mid-late 90's) when Usenet discussion groups were one of the primary ways that like-minded hobbyists used to get together, ROFF (Usenet ID: recreation.outdoor.flyfishing) was a pretty rough and tumble place where fly anglers would congregate to share stuff and (quite often) insult and tease each other, etc. It was a fun place, but you needed a pretty thick skin sometimes to hang in...

Anyway George Gerhke (inventor of Gink) would show up pretty often. George had exactly the wrong characteristics to do well on ROFF. He had an ego the size of Maine along with a low flashpoint temper and relatively thin skin. A number of the ROFF regulars used to hound him unmercifully, particularly after he repeatedly refused to reveal the proprietary formula for Gink. They decided that all George was doing was repackaging Albolene and calling it Gink. This of course drove poor George to the 5th level of apoplexy and he would sputter, yell, call everybody names and then he'd disappear for a while, only to re-emerge sometime down the line at which point the whole thing would start over again..

Eventually, I tired of all the banging, clatter and nasty vibes and drifted away. Usenet was dying anyway... But I never found out one way or the other whether George really was repackaging Albolene let alone whether Albolene could float a fly.

Now, I know the answer to the latter question...

Thanks, RR!
RogueratOctober 4th, 2017, 10:18 am
Lee-

While researching floatants one of the websites I visited claimed (and that's just a claim, not a fact I guess) that some of the 'proprietary' floatants are in fact just repackaged Albolene purchased in vast quantities and then resold in little, pricey bottles. May be true, may be speculation...

I used Gink for years and liked the stuff, just found something less $$ and pretty effective too.

Gonna' tie some Caddis dries now, see if I can entice those finicky, fussy Browns I encountered a couple nights back.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
RogueratOctober 5th, 2017, 6:40 am
WHAT IF is cranking up...

Lunchtime musings here, I'm wondering about some field testing of a Gel Wax (candle-making base), petrolatum (plain ol' Vaseline) and mineral oil blends to create my own extremely frugal fly and leader floatant. These are the base ingredients in the above-mentioned facial cleanser stuff.

Having a daughter who's night Mgr at one of the big-box Craft stores will help defray the Gel wax cost due to her employee discount...I've been known to call in favors now and then.

Mad scientist stuff, meet fly fishing!

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.