Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Recent evenings at the Drake Hotel, Page 2

Feathers5August 6th, 2014, 1:30 pm
BTW - Did you encourage Bruce to wade in close for a good presentation? They're supposed to be easy to put down unless the drift is flawless and directly in their feeding lane.

I was using Bruce as a teaser. Kinda like a hookless plug that I would pull away and then put the comparadun in front of the fish. They were suckers for it. But it requires a drownstream presentation.

Man, the pay is awesome. I've been drownstream many times.
EntomanAugust 6th, 2014, 1:31 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ah, Makes sense. I assume you just tie a rope around his waist and let him do his thing? When he resurfaces (Bruce not the fish) you just quickly jerk him in and throw the comparadun in his wake? Brilliant!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularAugust 6th, 2014, 1:32 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

the fact that his head bouces off the rocks doesn't seem to effect him either. It's impressive.
Feathers5August 6th, 2014, 1:33 pm
Yes, I've heard that he likes to dive under for a quick survey of the available fauna before casting. Does that help in marking the locations of these elusive free risers?

I'm always seeking an edge on those fish. Some call it diving. I call it research.
Feathers5August 6th, 2014, 1:34 pm
Ah, Makes sense. I assume you just tie a rope around his waist and let him do his thing? When he resurfaces (Bruce not the fish) you just quickly jerk him in and throw the comparadun in his wake? Brilliant!

Wow! You're the second person to call me a jerk today.
Feathers5August 6th, 2014, 1:35 pm

the fact that his head bouces off the rocks doesn't seem to effect him either. It's impressive.

Pain is such a rush.
EntomanAugust 6th, 2014, 1:35 pm
Northern CA & ID

You guys ever employ this technique more than once in a day? Seems like it would work for big meat eating browns, too...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Feathers5August 6th, 2014, 1:37 pm
You guys eve employ this technique more than once in a day? Seems like it would work for big meat eating browns, too...

Just until my pull-ups get too heavy with water. They are very absorbant. They have pictures of trout on them. Cool water wear.
EntomanAugust 6th, 2014, 1:41 pm
Northern CA & ID

Pictures? I'd love to see 'em. You'll probably just look like a sulfur though...
Kschaefer3August 6th, 2014, 1:46 pm
St. Paul, MN

Bruce, do you travel for this kind of work? I have a few fish I would like to try this technique on, but no one willing to help me out.
Feathers5August 6th, 2014, 1:52 pm
Posts: 287I have no pictures of them, but I do have a set of wallet size photos of my last colonoscopy. During the procedure my doctor found 2 woolly buggers, page 7 of an old Oprah Winfrey magazine, and my autographed picture of Mamie Eisenhower. I just kept my picture of Mamie. God she was fun at a party.
Feathers5August 6th, 2014, 1:54 pm
Bruce, do you travel for this kind of work? I have a few fish I would like to try this technique on, but no one willing to help me out.

I'll do anything for the right amount of money, well, almost anything. I would never tell a woman I liked that she was wrong.
Kschaefer3August 6th, 2014, 3:00 pm
St. Paul, MN

I'll do anything for the right amount of money, well, almost anything. I would never tell a woman I liked that she was wrong.

Obviously, no amount of money does you any good when you're dead :).
RogueratAugust 6th, 2014, 4:20 pm
I read this thread starting with the latest posts then back-tracked, and it had me in stitches...sort of a Monty Python goes fly-fishing thing. I'm trying to reconcile colonoscopies and Mamie Eisenhower then run across Jaws rising to a Yellow Drake, this is genius level stuff.

Anyway, the Yellow Drake thing is interesting too- I researched MI trout streams for this hatch and came up with more than a few, all in the northern portions of the state. Great pictures, weird but great humor (no problems here!) and grins all around.

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
Jmd123August 6th, 2014, 5:28 pm
Oscoda, MI

"I don't think so, they wouldn't eat a White Wulff ;)"

Aw come on, man, I happen to know for a fact that Lee Wulff himself once caught a sailfish - yes, a sailfish - on a huge White Wulff (not sure what exact size but it was something around a 3/0 or so, saw a photo of him holding it). Who says great whites won't take 'em, too? It's all in the presentation, guys!!

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnAugust 16th, 2014, 12:26 pm
Novi, MI

I can see you guys have continued to be silly while I was away...:)

Bruce has a tendency for taking dips when he fishes...All that splashing around peeks the interest of predators...I've asked Eric, over and over again, not to chum with Bruce...One day he's going to get bit!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRobertsAugust 17th, 2014, 8:52 pm
Colorado

Well... there are two cabin fever seasons: late winter and, apparently, summer low water.

Great thread.:))
CrepuscularAugust 17th, 2014, 10:56 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Well... there are two cabin fever seasons: late winter and, apparently, summer low water.

I don't think it's cabin fever on my part. Maybe lack of sleep from fishing drakes so late and then getting up early for tricos.
PaulRobertsAugust 18th, 2014, 1:17 am
Colorado

Glad to hear you've got stuff to do, Eric. :)
Feathers5August 18th, 2014, 2:25 pm

I don't think it's cabin fever on my part. Maybe lack of sleep from fishing drakes so late and then getting up early for tricos.

I know for a fact you sit at home in the evening cooking in your Easy Bake Oven and dressing up your transgender Ken Doll.
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.