Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Recent evenings at the Drake Hotel

CrepuscularAugust 2nd, 2014, 8:25 am
Boiling Springs, PA

These beauties have been providing some good fishing in the evenings lately.

E. varia

MillcreekAugust 2nd, 2014, 3:45 pm
Healdsburg, CA

Eric -

Very nice photos. They certainly are elegant looking little creatures. Interesting that some of the nymphs seem to have similar markings on the dorsal abdomen.

Mark
LastchanceAugust 3rd, 2014, 9:52 am
Portage, PA

What is the common name for the fly, Eric?
CrepuscularAugust 3rd, 2014, 12:35 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

What is the common name for the fly, Eric?

yellow drake
CrepuscularAugust 3rd, 2014, 8:07 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Eric -

Very nice photos. They certainly are elegant looking little creatures. Interesting that some of the nymphs seem to have similar markings on the dorsal abdomen.

Mark

Thanks Mark, in my experience many of the Ephemerids retain the dorsal abdominal patterns that they have as an immature insect into the adult stage. Funny thing is, the variability even within the same species, is great. And I've never read anything that explains that other than what might be chalked up to somewhat isolated population genetics.
MillcreekAugust 4th, 2014, 11:02 am
Healdsburg, CA

Eric -

Funny thing is, the variability even within the same species, is great. And I've never read anything that explains that other than what might be chalked up to somewhat isolated population genetics.

We also have a number of species on the west coast that exhibit a lot of variability in the same species, at least in the nymphs. Many Ephemerellidae nymphs show a high degree of variability in color patterns. Drunella flavilinea, Ephemerella dorothea, Attenella soquele and to a lesser degree Serratella species all show a lot of variability. In the Heptageniidae, Rhithrogena and Nixe show some color and patterning differences amongst the same species and in Leptophlebiidae, Paraleptophlebia helenae, one of the tusked Leptophlebia shows wide variation in the shape of the tusks. And don't get me started on Baetis. I'm sure a number of other mayfly species in the area also exhibit these traits but these are some of the ones I'm most familiar with.

I've found large degrees of patterning variability within very small geographic areas. Not sure what causes it, but possibly it's simply large numbers of an animal with a short development time accumulating genetic changes that work for it. Or not, who knows.
CrepuscularAugust 4th, 2014, 11:12 am
Boiling Springs, PA

We also have a number of species on the west coast that exhibit a lot of variability in the same species, at least in the nymphs. Many Ephemerellidae nymphs show a high degree of variability in color patterns.

Yes the empherellids seem to be the poster child for variabilty. I don't know if you have seen this old thread http://www.troutnut.com/topic/7887/More-Variation.
MillcreekAugust 4th, 2014, 11:47 am
Healdsburg, CA

Interesting thread. Reminds me of Serratella micheneri over here. When the nymphs are present you can find a similar number of variations, often on a single large cobble. I'll have to see if I can hunt up enough photos to show some of the variation.
Feathers5August 5th, 2014, 9:33 am
These beauties have been providing some good fishing in the evenings lately.

E. varia

Looks like a sulfur to me.
CrepuscularAugust 5th, 2014, 3:39 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Looks like a sulfur to me.

:)
Jmd123August 5th, 2014, 8:38 pm
Oscoda, MI

Eric, how about showing us some of the fishies that are currently munching on these? And yes I agree, they are quite beautiful and delicately colored creatures, especially illustrated by your very nice photos.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Feathers5August 6th, 2014, 8:51 am
Eric, how about showing us some of the fishies that are currently munching on these? And yes I agree, they are quite beautiful and delicately colored creatures, especially illustrated by your very nice photos.

Jonathon

Well, now we have a problem. :)
CrepuscularAugust 6th, 2014, 11:27 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Eric, how about showing us some of the fishies that are currently munching on these?

A lot of fun on a 3wt

Jmd123August 6th, 2014, 12:43 pm
Oscoda, MI

Why, that fly looks to be about 12/0 - what weight rod do you throw those on, Eric?

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
EntomanAugust 6th, 2014, 1:07 pm
Northern CA & ID

He already mentioned his preference for a 3 wt, Jon. Thats right up your alley.

Yes, I've heard that Great Whites selectively feed on mayflies when in fresh water. Never seen it documented before, though. Excellent photo, Eric. You caught the subtle rise form with perfect timing. BTW - Did you encourage Bruce to wade in close for a good presentation? They're supposed to be easy to put down unless the drift is flawless and directly in their feeding lane.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularAugust 6th, 2014, 1:13 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

BTW - Did you encourage Bruce to wade in close for a good presentation? They're supposed to be easy to put down unless the drift is flawless and directly in their feeding lane.

I was using Bruce as a teaser. Kinda like a hookless plug that I would pull away and then put the comparadun in front of the fish. They were suckers for it. But it requires a drownstream presentation.
EntomanAugust 6th, 2014, 1:14 pm
Northern CA & ID

LOL:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
EntomanAugust 6th, 2014, 1:21 pm
Northern CA & ID

Yes, I've heard that he likes to dive under for a quick survey of the available fauna before casting. Does that help in marking the locations of these elusive free risers?
CrepuscularAugust 6th, 2014, 1:24 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Yes, I've heard that he likes to dive under for a quick survey of the available fauna before casting. Does that help in marking the locations of these elusive free risers?

Exactly, that where I got the idea.
CrepuscularAugust 6th, 2014, 1:27 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

He already mentioned his preference for a 3 wt, Jon. Thats right up your alley.

I don't think so, they wouldn't eat a White Wulff ;)
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.