Scientific name search:

> > Amphipoda

CrepuscularMarch 5th, 2013, 2:24 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Another from today
EntomanMarch 5th, 2013, 2:32 pm
Northern CA & ID

What do you think?

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularMarch 5th, 2013, 2:55 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

I think I should not have bothered posting my photo. You already know what they look like. :)
EntomanMarch 5th, 2013, 3:55 pm
Northern CA & ID

:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnMarch 5th, 2013, 4:21 pm
Novi, MI

Kurt...I'll take a dozen...;)

Is that wrapped partridge?

What size? Both of you...:)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrepuscularMarch 5th, 2013, 5:53 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

They come in all sizes from as small as you want to tie to about a 14 scud hook. This one was a size #16.
EntomanMarch 5th, 2013, 7:33 pm
Northern CA & ID

We get 'em out here up to size 8! Most are in the 12 to 16 range. The partridge is spun in a loop, Spence. The hackles are too short and the barbules too long to wrap conventionally. First dub the thread, form a loop, and insert the barbules to the proper length horizontally on the dubbing and twist the loop up enough to trap them. then trim off the stems along the edge of the thread so the barbule bases don't show. Finish twisting up and wrap on the shank over copious quantities of lead. It's a bit tricky to do. I'm thinking of investing in one of those Petitjean tools to simplify and speed things up...

Most aren't speckled like Eric's specimen. They come in all shades of gray, tan, and olive (some greenish yellow or even peachy cream). I pretty much stick with this aqua tinted gray & partridge and a greenish olive version tied with plain hen hackle. For the tannish ones, I just use a Bird's Nest (as I probably would for Eric's). In sizes 12 - 18, they cover the spectrum for 90% of the ones I've ever run into (of which 75% are covered by the olive). Some of the lakes I have fished (particularly in OR) have the big boys. I just trim up a small Crystal Bugger to deal with those if I have to.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.