User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Caucci's Compara-Nymph Step by Step

NEMattJuly 7th, 2014, 6:35 pm
New Hampshire

Hi,

Newbie here.

After reading Caucci's Hatches II, I've followed the step by step tying instructions for the compare-dun and the compare-emergers. I'd like to tie the compare-nymph next but he does't include SBS instructions for it. I can fumble through one from pictures but I'd like to know the proper way. Could anyone provide a link for me to follow? I would certainly appreciate it.

Also, thanks for all the good info sharing here - very helpful.

Matt
NEMattJuly 7th, 2014, 6:40 pm
New Hampshire

I meant 'compara' - auto spell check has killed me more than once.
OldredbarnJuly 8th, 2014, 1:25 pm
Novi, MI

Not a big deal...A rather simple, "guide-fly", type of fly.

Appropriate size hook for mayfly you are trying to imitate...Some use dry fly hook, some wet.

Wind thread on hook to rear of shank and dub a small bit of dubbing to facilitate the split tail...Tie in your stiff tailing fibers, either spade hackle or paint brush like tailing material and arrange so you have equal amounts on either side of dubbed ball...Wind thread tight up against this ball and they will split forming a nice v off the back of the hook.

Dub your tapered body a hook eye or two back from the eye.

Stack a small clump of appropriate color deer hair for wing...This is an emerger and the length of wing is open to debate, but start with wing tips about halfway back over the body...Wrap right up and against where the dubbing stopped.

Lift the butt ends up and tie in front of them, not unlike some tie an elk hair caddis, and whip finish. Then snip the butts at an angle with the wing...Again...Like an elk hair caddis.

If you have problems with the deer hair wanting to spin, don't let it...:) No...You can weave your thread through the butt hairs before you trim them...Craig Matthews, on his Sparkle Dun, divides the butts into thirds and places a firm wrap through the hair at each third...

Now...Other questions...Though a simple tie, what color should the emerger be? :)

Take a few moments to visit Charlie Cravens web site at www.charliesflyboxinc.com

Click on "Flybox" tab to the right and view each of his listed patterns...Each has a wonderful step-by-step tutorial.

You'll be tying like a pro in no-time!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TctroutJuly 8th, 2014, 8:08 pm
Posts: 28Here's a Sparkle Dun that is tied with deer hair. It's similar to a comparadun, though the tail is tied out of zelon, antron, etc. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QwBuaqWjfo

TC
Johnvan61July 9th, 2014, 9:19 am
southeast

Whats a compara nymph? The one above sounds like a compara emerger. I have tied a compara dun following instructions in Kaufmann's fly tying book and have seen the compara emerger using deer hair for emerging wing but I don't ever recall seeing a compara nymph. Are there illustrations somewhere? Thanks---John
"my mind is like oatmeal"
EntomanJuly 9th, 2014, 1:15 pm
Northern CA & ID

The compara-nymph is not a style or type of nymph. What the authors did was take the generic Skues "pulled over wingcase" style and use their dubbing blends to match the hatch in sync with their other "compara" patterns. Absolutely nothing unique about them and as Spence mentioned they are "guide flies", i.e. as simple as you can get. There are literally hundreds of instructional videos on YouTube or similar venues that show how to tie a Gold-ribbed Hare's Ear or similar nymph. Pick the one you like best, substitute dubbing and leave out the ribbing. That's a compara- nymph...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
NEMattJuly 10th, 2014, 2:17 am
New Hampshire

Not a big deal...A rather simple, "guide-fly", type of fly.

Appropriate size hook for mayfly you are trying to imitate...Some use dry fly hook, some wet.

Wind thread on hook to rear of shank and dub a small bit of dubbing to facilitate the split tail...Tie in your stiff tailing fibers, either spade hackle or paint brush like tailing material and arrange so you have equal amounts on either side of dubbed ball...Wind thread tight up against this ball and they will split forming a nice v off the back of the hook.

Dub your tapered body a hook eye or two back from the eye.

Stack a small clump of appropriate color deer hair for wing...This is an emerger and the length of wing is open to debate, but start with wing tips about halfway back over the body...Wrap right up and against where the dubbing stopped.

Lift the butt ends up and tie in front of them, not unlike some tie an elk hair caddis, and whip finish. Then snip the butts at an angle with the wing...Again...Like an elk hair caddis.

If you have problems with the deer hair wanting to spin, don't let it...:) No...You can weave your thread through the butt hairs before you trim them...Craig Matthews, on his Sparkle Dun, divides the butts into thirds and places a firm wrap through the hair at each third...

Now...Other questions...Though a simple tie, what color should the emerger be? :)

Take a few moments to visit Charlie Cravens web site at www.charliesflyboxinc.com

Click on "Flybox" tab to the right and view each of his listed patterns...Each has a wonderful step-by-step tutorial.

You'll be tying like a pro in no-time!

Spence

Perfect. Thanks for taking the time to type that up. Very Helpful.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.