Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Favorite Pattern for Isonychia

AdirmanJune 1st, 2016, 10:08 pm
Monticello, NY

Isonychia has been hatching in the Catskills now for the past few days; just went fishing this evening and caught a nice 11" Brookie on a #14 Royal coachmen, my go to pattern for when this species is prevalent. Any other dun patterns for Isonychia that are also productive? what about spinner patterns?

Thanks
RogueratJune 2nd, 2016, 2:40 pm
I have a go-to Iso pattern based on Harrop's Hair Wing Dun: sz 10 or 12 3x long dry hook with claret/grey mix bunny dubbing, dark dun Comparadun hair for the wing, and medium dun hackle. Trim the hackle flat on the bottom for a flush to the surface float, simple and fairly fast tie on this one.

That and the basic CD in Iso colors are pretty much the only duns I use.

Spinners: I spent the first half of this week on the PM and a local flyfisher handed me a stone-simple pattern, just tails/greyish-red dubbed body/grey deer hair tied spent for the wings wings AND a small white foam thorax tied over the wings for flotation and to act as an indicator of sorts. I used this with some success, TX to John of Cloud 9 for giving me a couple of these flies.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
TNEALJune 2nd, 2016, 9:27 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

I like a Roberts Drake style parachute for Isos. The tail is a clump of pheasant; body dark deer hair parallel to the shank; post white deer hair; hackle grizzly and dark brown. Thread claret.
MartinlfJune 4th, 2016, 11:08 am
Palmyra PA

Just fished over a bunch of jaded fish that had seen too many Green Drake imitations. They are eating Isos now. Flies that worked: comparadun, snowshoe emerger on a scud hook, klinkhamer style emerger with marabou abdomen. But it took many, many casts. Had one nice fish take the snowshoe emerger, then run me downstream and into some underwater brush. Almost got it untangled when the line snapped with a final lunge.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
AdirmanJune 6th, 2016, 2:35 pm
Monticello, NY

What size? a #14? Thanks
OldredbarnJune 6th, 2016, 11:30 pm
Novi, MI

I like a Roberts Drake style parachute for Isos. The tail is a clump of pheasant; body dark deer hair parallel to the shank; post white deer hair; hackle grizzly and dark brown. Thread claret.

Mr. Neal...You told me to "try" the Manistee...:) Spent the weekend there and had some fun.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEALJune 7th, 2016, 3:14 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

Spence,

Good for you.... hope they were all "native" fish...
CatskilljonJune 7th, 2016, 11:01 pm
Upstate NY

I like a comparadun with Caucci's charcoal dubbing, a brown wulff and a simple dark bodied parachute in 10's and 12's. Later in the season they start getting smaller, but now some of them are almost green drake sized.

I love Iso's...they hang around for soooo long. CJ
AdirmanJune 8th, 2016, 10:03 pm
Monticello, NY

Yes they do, my favorite hatch!!
OldredbarnJune 9th, 2016, 11:54 am
Novi, MI

I am going to post Mr Neal's address here for those of you smart enough to research what he has said here, free of charge...He ties more flies in the winter than most will tie in a lifetime of tying, and he's giving it away...

Tim...J.R. is going to hang you from the new bridge in Grayling! :)

So...For you that figure it out, you owe Tim $5.00 for every Brown you catch on the above fly over 18"...Tim. What's my account balance up to now? I've been running an open account with you since 1991...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEALJune 15th, 2016, 10:10 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

I assume you mean with interest?
Jmd123June 16th, 2016, 1:37 am
Oscoda, MI

Had great success with this Iso pattern two nights ago on the Rifle:

Hook: #12 Mustad 94840 or equivalent dry fly hook
Thread: Danville 3/0 black, or equivalent
Tail: grey coastal deer, 6-8 fibers, as long as hook shank
Body: Fly-Rite Medium Brown/Dun Variant poly dubbing (greyish red)
Wing: grey coastal deer hair, good clump, divided
Hackle: medium blue dun

Floats good, easy to tie, and eagerly slurped by browns!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.