Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > "The Frozen Chosen", or what I did yesterday instead of fly fishing

Jmd123 has attached these 5 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.3X larger)
"Ready on the left, ready on the right, ready on the firing line, firing line is ready!  Commence firing!"
"Ready on the left, ready on the right, ready on the firing line, firing line is ready! Commence firing!"
Kinda cold, wet...glad I had my gun well oiled!
Kinda cold, wet...glad I had my gun well oiled!
Lemme see here...OK Jonathon, you had five misses...(my target is on the left)
Lemme see here...OK Jonathon, you had five misses...(my target is on the left)
Some fine old military rifles (M1 Garands, mine is the one on the left)
Some fine old military rifles (M1 Garands, mine is the one on the left)
More fine old military rifles, the two on the left are Model of 1917 (.30-06 just like the Garand)
More fine old military rifles, the two on the left are Model of 1917 (.30-06 just like the Garand)
Jmd123February 2nd, 2014, 4:49 am
Oscoda, MI

My fly rods haven't seen the light of day in quite a while, October 30th if I remember correct (brain is just now thawing out). We've been pounded by snow, high winds, and arctic temperatures, as probably many of the rest of you have. I've just about gone nuts the past month being cooped up inside staring at snow I can't ski on without getting pneumonia. The lower Au Sable froze again from bank to bank and who knows what the trout streams look like right now, not to mention the accesses...

So what does one do to keep one's sanity at this time of year? Go out and shoot some nice old vintage military rifles in the snow! As titled above, the event is meant to celebrate the battle of the Chosin Reservoir in North Korea, when the US Army and Marines were surrounded by Mao's Red Army and had to fight their way out in even more horrible conditions than we have been putting up with lately...Well, we didn't have the Red Chinese hordes shooting back at us, but it was snowing and around 20F - which felt WARM! Also, no wind, at last...almost balmy. So I packed up the M1 Garand, a bandolier of ammo, my shooting bag, a tarp to lay on, and an OD Army blanket in case the tarp wasn't enough. We each shot at least five sighting rounds (I got to shoot 8) to make sure we were all sighted in, and thirty rounds for score, ten slow-fire prone, ten rapid-fire prone, and ten slow-fire standing offhand (the last was the toughest). I hit the paper 27 times out of thirty - targets were about two feet square with a six-inch bull's-eye. Quite the challenge, and I didn't shoot very well (185 out of 300 possible), but it was a heck of a lot of fun and a great treatment for cabin fever. And I would have knocked off a few bad guys too...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchFebruary 2nd, 2014, 8:28 am
York & Starlight PA

I think it was quite neat to get out there with your Korean War guns & stuff and go shoot some rounds. I remember my father telling me he was issued a M1 Garand when he was in WW II and he said he had earned a Marksmens badge. I have no idea what that means other than I guess he hit the target well. I kind of remember lifting one when I was a kid and remember they were quite heavy. Do you know the weight?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123February 2nd, 2014, 10:24 am
Oscoda, MI

Matt, according to what I have read, 9.6 lbs. And that feels about right when you lift one. The nice thing about the Garand is that between the weight and the design of the operating mechanism you don't feel much recoil, the rifle muzzle merely jumps and of course you hear a good loud BOOOOOM!

I've got several other nice old military guns and they have vintage rifle shoots at the range here in Oscoda during the summer. Gonna do it this year if I don't get too busy with consulting and teaching (though I want to be because that's where I make my money)...

If you ever find your way out here I will take you to the range and we can burn up a few rounds. Oh, and hit a couple of trout streams as well!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRobertsFebruary 3rd, 2014, 8:06 pm
Colorado

Yes, the Garand is quite a gun. I shot one only once but was immediately impressed. An amazingly well thought out design that isn't obvious until you shoot it. Big, clunky, even awkward looking I'd always thought. It was heavy in hand, until you put it to your shoulder, and the weight distribution made it point fast, recoil very little, and stay on target. Very impressive rifle. They are a thing of functional beauty in my mind now.
EntomanFebruary 6th, 2014, 2:17 am
Northern CA & ID

Did you guys happen to notice that the lead photo a newbie will see when checking us out is a photo of... vintage military rifles? The next one is cheesecake?

I know it's a bleak Winter and I certainly have nothing against either, but let's not make a habit of this.

If I start seeing photos of coin collections and needlepoint, I'm afraid I won't be able to control the delete button...:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsFebruary 6th, 2014, 7:07 pm
Colorado

Sorry Kurt for my part. I did try to stick the word "trout" in there, or
"invertebrate" (for those lilly-livered pinkos that hang out around here on occasion), even considered "inveterate", but decided to quit while I was behind.
EntomanFebruary 7th, 2014, 2:17 am
Northern CA & ID

:):)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.