Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Short Stuff

BaronJune 9th, 2019, 7:16 am
Pennsylvania

I am new to fly fishing....so new that not even the fish have heard of me yet.
I currently fish some tight areas and hope to get even tighter as the larger streams warm. I'm using a single piece 4 1/2' spinning setup.
I have always admired fly fishing from a distance and there will be allot to learn to get up to speed. My used ebay fly combos arrive next week and will be allot of fun to set-up.
I am wondering if anyone could discuss the advantages of using short fly rods for brushy creeks. So far, in PA, most of the people I've met have said to use a long pole Tenkara style. On the other hand I've seen some Brittish fishermen use 5-6' rods.
Would someone with experience help me understand the nuances of short vs long fly rods in brushy areas?
Baron
AdirmanJune 9th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Monticello, NY

Short fly rods are useful for mountain streams and brooks woth a lot of thick bushes streamside for short casts, usually 15’ and less; In fact, a lot of the casts would be bow and arrow type casts. Another advantage logistically is when walking along the bank with thick brush, a shorter rod is easier simply to maneuver thru the tangles. Longer rods are always getting hung up it seems . Hope this helps!

David
WbranchJune 9th, 2019, 1:20 pm
York & Starlight PA

Davis has offered all the information I would have provided. A 5' or 6' fly rod is going to be much easier to travel through the brush with and fish than a longer 8' - 9' rod.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
BaronJune 9th, 2019, 6:19 pm
Pennsylvania

Thanks for the comments. If I were purchase one for casts under 25’ and for fish less than one pound and for use in brushy areas how should it be rigged? What weights? I’m thinking 2/3 rod and reel with 3 line? Light action?
Baron
WbranchJune 9th, 2019, 6:28 pm
York & Starlight PA

If all you plan to ever fish is those little streams of no more than 15' wide than a #3 will probably work okay. I consider any line under a #3 to be a novelty line and of little real fly fishing value. That's my opinion and I'm old enough, and good enough, to make broad statements about fly fishing tackle.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
BaronJune 10th, 2019, 6:52 am
Pennsylvania

WBRANCH I hear ya. I got a couple rigs off the internet to get me started. They range from 4-6 weight and that should do wellfrom Martins creek trout to the Delaware Smallies. The rods are 7.5’ and two that are 8’. The reels are orvis WYE, true temper, and Caddis creek. All of older vintage. Time and experience will dictate what new equipment choices I’ll make.
Baron

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.