Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Learning to Tie Dries

Kschaefer3January 23rd, 2014, 12:07 pm
St. Paul, MN

I don't fancy myself much of a tier. I can do what I need to in order to tie the streamers I want, but that's as far as my tying has gone. The further down this long and very slippery slope I get, the more it bothers me fishing with flies I didn't tie.

Last year I found myself fishing dries more than I otherwise have. It was way too fun having a place an hour from work that I could go catch a few fish in the 12-14" range with chances at much bigger. Way better than anything else that would occupy my weeknights. The stretch that I fished had a nice canopy, so the fish would start rising at least 2 hours earlier than the rest of the stream (in the immediate vicinity anyway). I found that most the fish I saw rising could be fooled by a subtle well placed cast and a size 18-20 comparadun bwo.

I lose motivation to tie when it isn't a pattern I want to fish. Since most my dry fly fish last year came on comparadun bwos, that is the route I want to go. Is this a reasonable fly to try for my first dry? Are there other bwo patterns you would recommend instead?

I also did well a few evenings on sulphurs, so I would be open to any sulphur patterns you all like as well. I know there are some true dry fly experts on Troutnut, so I am open to any and all opinions. I will take what I learn here, go buy materials, and put myself one step closer to unemployment. :)
RogueratJanuary 23rd, 2014, 12:50 pm
Kschaefer3

Just a suggestion, but I'd buy a basic tying primer or 2, and start out with the basic patterns. Dave Hughs' American Fly Tying Manual is a good place to start, since he walks the reader/tyer through the steps of how to tie a dry (along with nymphs, wets, etc).
Essential Trout Flies is another good choice, and each type of fly has a step-by-step tying lesson with clear photos. There are basic TYPES of flies with variations on the theme to tie. Catskill dries, Thorax style (work great for me and not overly complicated or time-consuming), parachute, and so on. I obtain the materials required and proceed to tie the patterns needed.
I'm no expert; I came into trout fishing from a warm-water, Bass Bug and Pike fly background.
BUT armed with the hatch charts of streams I intend to fish- and a basic selection of flies- BWO's and Sulphurs included- it's a whole new world.
A somewhat lengthy, possibly subjective reply but intended to be helpful.

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
CrepuscularJanuary 23rd, 2014, 2:00 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Kyle I would say that a size 18-20 comparadun is not the easiest fly to tie but not impossible. Proportions and amounts of the materials used can be tricky when just starting out. As you gain experience you will know how much to use and how to lash them to a hook. If you want to tie comparaduns, It may be easier for you to learn to tie them starting with slightly larger sizes before getting to the smaller ones. Just so you will learn how the materials will react when constructing the fly. Maybe some larger ones like hendricksons or another large early season fly that you might see, may be a good place to start. Then move on to your small olives. Deer hair selection for comparaduns is paramount to a good fly. As TNEAL pointed out recently not all deer hair is created equal. I think there was a recent thread on tying comparadun style flies and a good link to some tying instructions. I think this is it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aNN6qpBPNM

Parachute dry flies are pretty effective in my opinion (and pretty easy to tie) but there are certainly plenty of patterns (read styles) of dry flies that will catch fish on any given occasion, so if you learn to tie those style of dry flies you can then adapt them to the sizes and colors of the mayflies you are likely to encounter on the waters you fish. For me and I suspect many others, certain styles of dry flies are easier to tie than others, I suppose that comes from repetition, so like most other things you just have to sit down and do it. Along with the books, the internet videos allow you to actually see the steps involved in constructing a dry fly which I wish were around when I began tying flies. It doesn't hurt to disassemble one of the purchased flies that work for you and see what is going on in each part of the construction.

I lose motivation to tie when it isn't a pattern I want to fish.

Well, I guess I would do a little research on what flies you may encounter and then tie flies that will imitate what you are likely to see. This may increase your motivation.

Olives, sulphurs, cahills and caddis are all pretty common. If possible, look into a fly tying group or instruction in the areas you will be fishing, those local anglers have the knowledge of sizes and colors that a book or general pattern video does not.
TNEALJanuary 23rd, 2014, 2:03 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

Since you are used t tying large (streamer) flies and have not tried dries, I would suggest starting on something larger than the #16-20's you'll be using for BWOs and sulphurs. A class is a good idea; a better one is someone you know who ties.
Kschaefer3January 23rd, 2014, 3:37 pm
St. Paul, MN

Thanks for the responses gentlemen! Both are certainly helpful.

Eric - What parachute patterns would you recommend? Parachute adams? I like that comparaduns ride lower in the water. This is the same with parachute style flies, correct? What do you feel is the easiest style of dry to tie? I have a decent knowledge of the bugs I want to imitate, so finding patterns I'll want to fish won't be too hard.

TNEAL - I was afraid those would be a bit small to start out on. My one friend who ties recommended I start on size 14. He would be the only person I know who could teach me to tie. The issue there is that our brains our the exact opposite, so nothing he says to explain fishing or tying makes any sense to me. Also, this may seem really dumb and counter productive, but I'd prefer to learn on my own. Getting ideas or helpful tips is one thing (ie Troutnut and online videos), but I'm not real interested in someone sitting there telling me what to do. I lose the sense of accomplishment to a degree. Also, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Are caddis flies easier to tie? I know they are on basically every river I fish. Can I tie a larger comparadun in darker colors for hennies?

Kschaefer3January 23rd, 2014, 3:42 pm
St. Paul, MN

Roguerat - Certainly helpful and appreciated. Are any of the tying books you mentioned dry flies only? I like the idea of step by step pictures just to get an idea of the proportions.
RogueratJanuary 23rd, 2014, 4:22 pm
A quick Google of 'Dry Fly tying books' just yielded this small sample;
- Orvis, 'Tying Dry Flies'
- Tying Catskill-style Dry Flies, by Mike Valla
- Tying Dry Flies, by Randall Kaufmann
- Tying Dry Flies, by A.K. Best
and there must be a lot more than this out there.

Crepuscular and TNEAL make excellent points of online videos, I tend to forget this since my kids are hogging the laptop pretty much all the time and I can't set up next to my tying bench. When I can get access I've watched a lot of videos, latest was the Comparadun tutorial mentioned by Crepuscular (TX again for this, my C-duns are much better now!) A C-dun can be tied for pretty much any Mayfly, any size needed. I've now tied them for sz 8 Hexes to Sulphur 16's and a lot in between- including Isonychias sz 12.

Practice, practice, practice...my early attempts were pretty scary but now I get asked for flies by my buddy Chad, aka 'The Trout Whisperer'.
GutcutterJanuary 23rd, 2014, 7:15 pm
Pennsylvania

This is a very, very easy one.
Just about anybody (except Bruce) can catch fish with this pattern. It can be modified by changing the abdomen (thread color), ribbing, wing material and thorax dubbing to match almost any mayfly that hatches in the surface film.
This is your size 18 "BWO"
The pictures are pretty much self explanatory.
Also - sorry for the crappy photos
Tony

All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
MartinlfJanuary 23rd, 2014, 10:17 pm
Palmyra PA

Here's an easy basic caddis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmHEqwoZlYQ

You can omit the hackle for a slow water pattern, and you can add a shuck for an emerger style. Caddis wings for these patterns can be tied with other materials, such as CDC or poly yarn.

Hendricksons can vary in color from stream to stream. Ask your buddy about dubbing and/or ask a local fly shop. Males are typically darker than females, and it might matter at times which you offer the fish.

Tony(Gutcutter)'s pattern is a superb emerger pattern. It will work much of the time, even if you're seeing fully hatched duns.

Sounds like you have a fun season coming up. Best of luck.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchJanuary 24th, 2014, 12:38 am
York & Starlight PA

Dear Kyle,

I have some experience tying dry flies. Please send either a Postal Money Order, or a certified check, for $2,000 US and I will provide you with a complete list of tools, materials, and books necessary to tie every major insect trout eat in the United States. I will also throw in a dozen of my personally tied dry flies to meet the needs of Eastern and Mid Western dry fly anglers.

Best regards

Wbranch aka The Flyman
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Kschaefer3January 24th, 2014, 10:20 am
St. Paul, MN

Tony - Thanks for the step by step. That looks like a great pattern! And one that I might be able to tie. Is the ribbing a really fine wire?

Martinlf - Thanks for that video. I may be tying some caddis too. I definitely have a fun season ahead of me...if it ever gets here. The cold we're having in the midwest is killing me. Good thing I got a new vise and have tons of tying material to shack up with.

Matt - I think I knew you liked to tie and fish dries :). If I throw in an extra $1000, will you make me be able to tie as well as you?

My plan is to start slow. Learn a pattern or two that I will fish and then get good at them. Once I have some of the basics down I'll start trying to tie more styles and patterns.

Thanks for all the responses! If I tie any flies that I would consider fishing, I'll put up a couple pictures.
CrepuscularJanuary 24th, 2014, 10:57 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Eric - What parachute patterns would you recommend?
Ones that match the naturals. But an adams in many sizes and color combinations will catch you fish and since it's a general pattern it as good as any to learn how to tie that style of fly. Don't let Tony corrupt you so quickly with those synthetic materials. ;)

Just about anybody (except Bruce) can catch fish with this pattern.
well if you tied it on for him (after you reconstruct his leader), tell him where to cast it, and then land the fish for him, I think even he could catch a fish on that fly.
Kschaefer3January 24th, 2014, 11:18 am
St. Paul, MN

Eric - What parachute patterns would you recommend?
Ones that match the naturals. But an adams in many sizes and color combinations will catch you fish and since it's a general pattern it as good as any to learn how to tie that style of fly. Don't let Tony corrupt you so quickly with those synthetic materials. ;)

Just about anybody (except Bruce) can catch fish with this pattern.
well if you tied it on for him (after you reconstruct his leader), tell him where to cast it, and then land the fish for him, I think even he could catch a fish on that fly.

I need to adjust my thought on flies. Parachute is the style and you can just adjust colors of materials (and even materials to a degree?) to match whatever mayflies are hatching.

You guys are tough on Bruce! At least you wouldn't need to help him wash his flies in the river after ;)
CrepuscularJanuary 24th, 2014, 11:29 am
Boiling Springs, PA

I need to adjust my thought on flies. Parachute is the style and you can just adjust colors of materials (and even materials to a degree?) to match whatever mayflies are hatching.

You guys are tough on Bruce! At least you wouldn't need to help him wash his flies in the river after ;)

Yes on the parachute question. Bruce is an easy target...plus I think he called me a tool in a recent thread.I was going to leave him in the grouse woods last monday but it was cold.
Feathers5January 24th, 2014, 11:34 am
GusJanuary 24th, 2014, 1:50 pm
colorado

The first dry fly I ever tied was a renegade. It's a really easy place to start seeing that it only has two components and they are easy to keep in proportion.
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
CrepuscularJanuary 24th, 2014, 3:37 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Wow, you guys really hurt mt heart.

What? I'm the one who said you could catch a fish on it. Talk to your buddy Gutcutter.
Kschaefer3January 24th, 2014, 3:50 pm
St. Paul, MN

Wow, you guys really hurt mt heart.

Sorry! I'll post picture of my flies, then you can poke fun at me. I don't think anyone will be able to catch fish on my first few.
WbranchJanuary 24th, 2014, 4:49 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hi Kyle,

"If I throw in an extra $1000, will you make me be able to tie as well as you?"

No, Grasshopper, that skill will only be attained after climbing many mountains in the quest to true greatness as a fly tier.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Kschaefer3January 24th, 2014, 5:04 pm
St. Paul, MN

Hi Kyle,

"If I throw in an extra $1000, will you make me be able to tie as well as you?"

No, Grasshopper, that skill will only be attained after climbing many mountains in the quest to true greatness as a fly tier.

I figured, but thought I'd ask. What fun would that be anyway? I doubt any of us got into this sport to take the easy way. The challenge and constant learning is part of why I love fly fishing, and hopefully tying some day.
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.