Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Learning to Tie Dries, Page 3

WbranchFebruary 11th, 2014, 5:52 pm
York & Starlight PA

Kyle,

Be careful that you do not get overwhelmed with all the info we are providing you with - it might drive you insane! There was a time when I was not much younger than you are that I could put all of my dry flies in one 4" x 6" Dewitt 12 compartment dry fly box - and there was extra space left over. Now I have a couple of dozen dry fly boxes and they are full.

You don't need to hit your favorite trout streams with a zillion dry flies. You know the prevalent insects on those streams so just tie a couple each of those flies and get out there and give them a whirl. I can remember back in the day before I'd even heard of a Compara-dun or knew who Marinaro was I was catching more than my share of 12" - 16" browns on the Beaverkill and Willowemoc and enough 17" - 18" fish to make it exciting for the potential of a big fish.

All I knew then were classic Catskill style, fully hackled, dry flies and guess what they did work pretty darn well. If I or anybody on this forum can tell you one thing to remember to increase your catch success with dry flies (or any fly but especially dries) is presentation, presentation, presentation! Ask Tony how I wiggle the line out through my guides and swim my fly right down into the mouth of a waiting brown. If you can put your hatch specific fly in that drift line consistently where that fish is rising so you don't line the fish or have a crappy cast you are going to catch the fish.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
WiflyfisherFebruary 15th, 2014, 7:55 pm
Wisconsin

Kyle,

If you want to learn to tie dry flies the first thing to ask is what are you trying to tie? If you are trying to small mayflies or stoneflies they take different size hackle than Brown Drakes or March Browns.

Also, because someone says only use saddles I would not take that as the Gospel. Some prefer capes and some prefer saddles, you decide for yourself. Personally, I prefer quality capes because I don't like 8+" long feathers, but that is my personal preference from many years of tying and the habits I have developed. Others love 8" long feathers, each to their own. You decide for yourself.

It looks like you are in the Midwest so focus on learning the best patterns for the hatches you plan on fishing. Catskill patterns do work, so do Compara-duns, thorax-style patterns, parachutes, emergers, etc. I would recommend find a local TU chapter or a shop with classes and the chance to mingle with others that fish in your area. There are also some great books that can help you also that you can read online or in print. Don't just rely on any FF forum.

You can't beat your own experience and trying different things and different tying methods. There is nothing like hitting a hatch when it is on and trying your patterns and testing your presentation skills. Above all enjoy the experience and have fun!

BTW, checkout http://www.wisflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.