Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Scott Radian?

HotfishDecember 16th, 2013, 11:36 am
Posts: 2Has anyone actually cast one yet? I am getting a new rod for christmas but am not sure if this is my guy or not. I also like the gloomis but The Fly Stop is doing a christmas special for $100 with the radian and I am thinking I might pull the trigger. Thoughts?
Al514December 16th, 2013, 7:33 pm
Central New York

I've never picked up a Scott Radian, but in my opinion the GLoomis would be a good buy.

Pick both up and cast them (if you can). Buy based on the feel of the rods and your style of fishing. It is hard to buy rods based off of the things you read on paper - one companies "fast" action, may be another companies "medium", etc.
WbranchDecember 17th, 2013, 2:34 pm
York & Starlight PA

Have you been fly fishing for quite a while? Do you think your casting is good enough to consistently cover rises, within 6", on a fish rising 30' away?

I ask that only for the reason that if you can't why would you spend $795 on a fly rod?

I've been fly fishing for over fifty years and can cast at least as well as anyone on this Forum and would never spend almost $800 on a fly rod. I think I'd want to become as proficient as possible before I bought a rod anywhere near that price.

Personally I've been buying the Sage Flight rods for around $350. I really like the 9' #4 & 9' #5. I also have a very nice Redington that is nicely finished that cost me $250. Unless you really think that rod is going to make you very happy I'd stick with the lesser priced rods that are still going to allow you to catch a ton of trout if you can cast well and have good line management skills.

Admittedly I also own about ten Italian Gatti fly rods that typically cost around $550 back around 2000. But at the time I was a dealer and getting them at cost and also was buying the blanks and building a number of the rods. But I don't think they cast any better than my lesser priced rods.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
EntomanDecember 18th, 2013, 6:04 am
Northern CA & ID

Welcome Hotfish!

Questions like this depend first on the skill level, experience and casting style of the user. Many swear by Loomis. I can also say with certainty that Scott has a good reputation with many anglers as well and the price seems a bargain for that model. I like 'em, personally. Though I'm a Sage man and haven't purchased a Scott in more than a decade, their's were the only rods I fished back in the day. Something in this new model is strangely reminiscent of the rods they built their reputation on back when they led the industry.

In my youth there was this French skier who won about every gold medal at the Olympics skiing on K2 comps. They were very expensive and on the cutting edge of design at the time. I just had to have them, even though I was intermediate at best. Predictably, it turned out I was incapable of benefitting from their alleged superiority. I was still an intermediate skier. They were sold at a loss and I went back to the cheaper skis I was more comfortable with. Lesson learned...

You didn't state where you are skill wise. If you are at the level Matt mentioned, the most important question is whether or not YOU like the way it casts and handles. I wouldn't let a difference in price sway my decision between the two. If you are intermediate, perhaps consider my analogy?

Best,

Tight lines!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
HotfishMarch 7th, 2014, 2:23 pm
Posts: 2I actually ended up getting one and I love it. http://www.theflystop.com/fly-fishing-rods Kory actually spoke to me personally and helped me choose it. The flies where a nice addition!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.