Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > New to fly fishing and have a few questions?

Flyfishen24December 5th, 2016, 5:50 pm
Posts: 6Ive been a rod and reel guy since I was a wee one and have been fishing for a pretty long time. I decided for this sping to take up fly fishing. Boy is there a lot books and opinions!! Ive read a few and watched some videos but haven't made the plunge to buy all the gear. I have a fish questions. One is ive been looking a spending about $150 on a half way decent rod by Orvis.Is this a good choice? I want something that will catch smaller trout and will also supplment my small mouth and largemouth bass occasionally. Would would be the right size? Also I dont want to invest in a million flys a few recomendations on a dozen or so flys to not live without. Lastly other things besides obvious net and waders and any new advice for a beginer to the sport?
WbranchDecember 6th, 2016, 7:40 am
York & Starlight PA

Orvis is a great company with a great reputation and you pay for that fame in every single item that they sell. Since you mentioned that you have a budget I would recommend holding off on the Orvis gear until you decide whether or not you want to go all in with fly fishing. For now I would suggest looking at Cabela's or Bass Pro for your first fly fishing outfit. You can get a 2 or 4 piece fly rod, the reel, backing, the fly line and often a leader. Many outfits should meet budget. Since you want a rod for trout and both species of bass I would recommend a 9' rod for a #6 line.

If you do a search on this sites archives you will find a couple posts about what the best dozen flies are. Most responses will be listing Wooly Buggers, Hares Ear and Pheasant Tail nymphs. Since you will be chasing both largemouth and smallmouth bass I would strongly recommend a couple #4 Clouser minnows in all yellow and chartreuse over white.

12/07 Edit;

I happened to be surfing the net just now and I saw this ad for a fly fishing combo. Here is the link;

http://www.fishwest.com/p/scientific-anglers-fly-fishing-outfit?

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
WiflyfisherDecember 13th, 2016, 5:47 pm
Wisconsin

I have heard good things about Fenwick Aetos fly rods and you might want to check it out. Pure Fishing acquired Hardy a while ago and supposedly the new Fenwick fly rods were part of the Hardy Greys line. It appears you can pick up the Fenwick Aetos for under $150 too.

https://www.google.com/#q=fenwick+aetos+fly+rod

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/index.php/gear-review/2016-5-weight-shootout-fly-rod-review-5weightflyrodcomparison-new-fly-rods-best-all-around-fly-rod-g-loomisnrxlp-scott-radian-orvis-helios2-hardyzephrus-hardy-wraith-sagemod-sage-bolt-loop-optistream/fenwick-aetos

John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
Flyfishen24December 15th, 2016, 10:40 am
Posts: 6Thats the exact one two other people recommended at the fly shoppe. Thank you for all the tips. Also to everyone out here. Im humbled by the willing and helpful advice that Ive received on this forum..! :-)

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.