Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Tricorythodes

CrepuscularSeptember 7th, 2014, 8:48 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

I had massive (well massive for the stream I was on) balls of these today. The boys would not sit still long enough for me to get a photo but this lady was willing to sit for me. Not a great photo (it's kind fuzzy) but it was breezy and all I had was my point and shoot.

Jmd123September 7th, 2014, 9:30 pm
Oscoda, MI

And were the fishies responding as you hoped, Eric?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
LastchanceSeptember 8th, 2014, 5:02 pm
Portage, PA

Nice photo, Eric.
EntomanSeptember 8th, 2014, 8:32 pm
Northern CA & ID

Under the circumstances, absolutely! You captured the illusive pale olive/green (almost chartreuse) very well, something you rarely see in photos.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsSeptember 8th, 2014, 9:49 pm
Colorado

Yes, that's nice lighting. She looks like she's eying you up. Or am I just reading in?
OldredbarnSeptember 11th, 2014, 8:22 pm
Novi, MI

This past weekend I was up in Grayling for the 20th annual Au Sable river cleanup. I was standing on a bridge over the mainstream with two other "old-timers" and we had a swarm of Tricos at arms length. I reached out and nabbed one, it turned out to be a female and I had one perfectly round, sticky, bright green egg ball stuck to my palm. I wonder how many eggs that represented? :)

Nice pics Eric!

Spence

Old-timer...I was at the first river clean-up as well...Ouch! Where did that 20 years go. I walked and cleaned up a beat I once fished with Rusty Gates. A little nod from his old Dutch pal to the Gator!

I have flies given to me from the first cleanup by guys who walked it with me. One, happily is still with us and was one of the other "old-timers' on the bridge, the other is gone.

There use to be an old fly shop in Roscommon called Jack's. His wife Ann Schweigert was a tyer of some renown in the area. A guy who walked the river with me this time was taught, as a young man, how to tie by Ann. He teaches tying now at the library there...

The day after the cleanup we came back to our room after fishing and having a bit to eat and I found a note from him taped to the door of my room. It had an unopened hand tied leader tied by Jack...The shop closed in 85...It cost a buck! :) It will go in the collection with the old flies.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEALSeptember 12th, 2014, 8:28 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

Jack was really proud of those leaders. In the lb test portion he put "maximum" Hang on to that leader, Spence.
OldredbarnSeptember 12th, 2014, 8:50 pm
Novi, MI

Tim,

It goes in the wooden box that has flies that guys have given me over the years...Hmmm...I have more than a few in there from a Mr Tim Neal. :) Your old buddy, JR, the unofficial mayor of Grayling, has a few in there as well.

I stopped in the unofficial city hall of Grayling this time up, Goodale's Bakery, for a custard-filled...Makes for a happy Dutchman.

Spence

Re: Jack's leader...It also says "Not Productioned" and he had an informal fishing club called the Circle...There's a stamp on the back that says "join the circle"...

Follow the link below if you are interested in a little Lore.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/articles/oldflies/2010/oldflies20100830.php
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEALSeptember 13th, 2014, 8:13 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

Thanks. Nice article. Jack was a real character; Ann just the opposite. The reference there to her full bodied flies was accurate; she never used dubbing but always wrapped the body with some sort of yarn.
I remember Jack visiting a fly shop I worked at probably a year or two before he died. He related as to how he had quit fishing. When we inquired why he said that he felt like a guy should stick with what he does best; which, in his case, he felt like that was drinking. He would keep several rods at the shop and show them to visitors asking which they preferred. They would all test them out and invariably pick the one that said Orvis. The other rods were exactly the same with the Orvis name either covered or rubbed off. He always let everyone know of his trick afterwards of course.
FalsiflySeptember 13th, 2014, 12:29 pm
Hayward, WI.

He would keep several rods at the shop and show them to visitors asking which they preferred. They would all test them out and invariably pick the one that said Orvis. The other rods were exactly the same with the Orvis name either covered or rubbed off. He always let everyone know of his trick afterwards of course.

The trick is not the removal or the covering up of the "Orvis" name the trick is the attachment to it.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.