Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > sage z-axis for sale

DbeckerJanuary 20th, 2010, 6:27 pm
Posts: 2I purchased a 5 weight sage z-axis in August of 2009 and only used it a few times before the season closed in Wisconsin. It won the 5 weight shootout for the best 5 weight rod on the market so I purchased it. I should have casted it first as it is to fast for me to cast. I need a slower rod. I purchased it for $700 and will sell it for $500. Phone number is 608-279-5382.
OldredbarnJanuary 21st, 2010, 7:36 am
Novi, MI

Dbecker,

This rod may be over-kill for smaller streams, but if you were ever going out west it could be helpful to combat wind, or to fish that roaring Madison between the Park and Ennis...Years back I had a friend build me two rods from Sage RPL blanks and it took a little practise to get comfortable with them but I still use them in the right situations...Like extremely windy days.

I have an old Sage LL (Light-Line Series) 9' for 5wt that's my all around rod...It's a bit slower, but can rocket a line out when need be...My friend had built it for himself for outwest and thought it too soft for out there and sold it to me for the cost of materials...He would like me to sell it back to him now since he's fishing more and more nymphs...It's a great nymph rod.

I guess my 2 cents would be to sell only if you need the dough or are never planning a trip west...Other-wise find yourself a casting field or gym and "shake it like a polaroid" until you feel more confortable with it.

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
DbeckerJanuary 22nd, 2010, 6:26 pm
Posts: 2Thanks spence for the info. I am planning on purchasing a different fly rod so I want to sell this one. I haven't had to many interested parties which is strange because it looks brand new and used about 4 times this fall. I assume someone will purchase it. If you know anyone, just let me know. Thanks man!
WbranchJanuary 23rd, 2010, 5:56 pm
York & Starlight PA

"I haven't had to many interested parties which is strange because it looks brand new"

It might look brand new but $500 is still a lot of money for many guys to be spending on a fly rod. Especially since there are many rods like Buelahs, Greys, or TFO that cast, and look, just as good for $250.00.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
FalsiflyJanuary 24th, 2010, 12:40 pm
Hayward, WI.

Dbecker

I don’t know if you are familiar with e-bay, but I typed in (sage z axis) and got 266 hits. You might want to do some research on that site. I’ve been a member for a couple of years and find it an excellent place to buy and sell. If you are not comfortable with e-bay try to find a friend who is. Just a suggestion and I wish you good luck.

I should have casted it first as it is to fast for me to cast.

I don’t know if you just plain don’t like it or if you are having difficulty casting it, but if it’s the latter I hope you spend the time to master it. I’ve got a good number of rods spanning from, limp as a noodle, to extra fast. All are used and all have advantages with different water and techniques, not to mention that scourge called wind. JMHO.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Jmd123January 25th, 2010, 8:01 pm
Oscoda, MI

Waaaay out of my price range. My currently active rods cost me between $60 and $220 - and it's the $60 rod that I use the most! (Cabelas Three Forks 8.5' 4-pc. 5-wt. - one helluva rod for the money...)

Jonathon

P.S. I would never begrudge anyone who could afford it to buy such expensive tackle if it suits them and improves their fishing. However, guys like me that make few $$$ in spite of our hard work and dedication really appreciate the less expensive tackle that is out there right now, and trust me, we catch PLENTY of fish on it. To be honest, I find that I can cast just as well if not better with my Three Forks than I used to with previous rods including an old Sage Discovery series (we're talking early 90s here, folks) of the same size, as well as a Redington RedStart I bought in 1998. And the Redington cost almost twice as much, not to mention the Sage which was three times as costly.

Perhaps I should change my user name to "cheapassflyfisher"...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.