Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > KBF photos for Kyle (and others)

Jmd123 has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.8X larger)
Six different KBF variants - all have worked!
Six different KBF variants - all have worked!
Original silver and grey
Original silver and grey
Copper and brown - hooked my biggest brown trout ever on this one! (Sadly, lost it too...)
Copper and brown - hooked my biggest brown trout ever on this one! (Sadly, lost it too...)
The Rainbow Variant!
The Rainbow Variant!
Jmd123May 8th, 2013, 12:50 pm
Oscoda, MI

Kyle was wondering what my KBF actually looks like, so I took a few shots with my little pocket digital so he could see. As you can see, this is a fly that is amenable to endless variations! And, was originally modeled off the old Comet steelhead fly but with a somewhat different mix of materials, the grizzly marabou tail being the most important in my opinion. Some of you may already have tied these under a different name (eh, Kurt?).

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123May 8th, 2013, 1:04 pm
Oscoda, MI

Mack, KBF stands for "Killer Bass Fly", a name it got after I landed a 20", 5.5 lb. largemouth on it in Texas back in 2005. I tie these on a #10 standard streamer hook (e.g., Mustad 9672 or equivalent), but larger sizes work well too, and the bead chain can be substituted for heavier dumbbell-type eyes or brass, tungsten, etc. for deeper situations. But, the bead chain actually adds a tiny element of sound, from the nubbins of the cut chain rattling around in the beads. All I can say is that this is my best streamer pattern and I have gotten some nice trout on them over the past two years, not to mention warmwater species too!

Jonathon

P.S. I posted the recipe on here a few years ago, do a search for "KBF".
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Kschaefer3May 8th, 2013, 1:44 pm
St. Paul, MN

Thanks, Jonathon. I tie a similar fly for early season trout. Marabou tail, sparkle braid body, thick deer hair collar and deer hair head. Some with no eyes, some with bead chain, some with dumbbell. I like the slimmed down profile for picky trout in cold situations. I tie mine in sizes 4-8 in this style. I tend bigger on streamers. I have been finding out, there really isn't a streamer too big for trout. The key is speed and depth.

Mack - Kentucky Bluegrass Festival works for me too! I love getting down to some banjo pickin'!
Jmd123May 8th, 2013, 5:47 pm
Oscoda, MI

Mack, I use Krystal Flash for the tinsel, but Flashabou would work just fine too. I like the "twistiness" of Krystal Flash because I think it kinda looks like fish scales.

Jonathon
EntomanMay 8th, 2013, 6:09 pm
Northern CA & ID

Some of you may already have tied these under a different name (eh, Kurt?).

:):)LOL No comment.... (inside joke, guys)

Fishy looking flies, Jonathon. I can see why you have confidence in them.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.