Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Some Smallmouth Bass photos.

Pryal74September 13th, 2010, 10:47 am
Escanaba, MI

As many of you know, the rivers of Lake Michigan, Lake Superior and Lake Michigan itself holds giant Smallmouth Bass.
Here are a few pictures of some of these monsters.

Hope you enjoy these. I only posted a few pictures. I will have some more from this fall as well.

Good luck fishing and hope to see you on the water!
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
Jmd123September 13th, 2010, 11:12 am
Oscoda, MI

GEEEEEEZ, James, you make my smallies look, well, small!!! What do you catch these big dudes on? I use a fly of my own design I named the Killer Bass Fly, after catching a 5.5 lb. 20" largemouth on it in Texas (STILL small in comparison to your fatboys!!), and it has been working for me on largemouth, smallmouth, rock bass, sunfish (all kinds!), crappie, yellow perch, etc. for over 5 years now. Also, Woolly Buggers, with chartreuse working particularly well for me (tied with grizzly hackle, weighted underbody, Krystal Flash topping for the tail, occasionally chartreuse-dyed grizzly marabou in place of straight chartreuse) but many other colors as well (lost some big dudes in Texas on solid hot pink!). And the 18-incher my buddy Spence posted on here was taken on a size 12 White Wulff dry fly. So, I'm curious to know what these monsters fall for on the end of your fly line...

I would wish you luck but the photos already show that you seem to have plenty!! Welcome to the site and thanks for posting some fabulous pics!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123September 13th, 2010, 11:18 am
Oscoda, MI

P.S. Is that your daughter in the top photo? Did she catch that big one herself? I should show these to my 14-year-old to see if I can get her into fly fishing!

JMD
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MT319September 13th, 2010, 12:14 pm
NY

Speaking of little girls fly fishing...the first 53 seconds of this is awesome...this is all you JMD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij_OlNii0nI&feature=player_embedded
Pryal74September 14th, 2010, 7:14 am
Escanaba, MI

I am working on making my own minnow bait for them. One of the ones I use doesn't sink fast enough so when I strip it rides too high. I caught a boatload of them last night but none were over 2 pounds. I was a lil disappointed but the time for the monsters is drawing near. By the end of this month they will move in. My daughter does fish by herself and has started fly fishing too. Not all bass I catch are by fly rod, although it is much funner to land them on one. My new Sage Flight 7 weight 10 foot will be in sometime this week. Anyway thanks for commenting you guys.
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
AdirmanSeptember 14th, 2010, 4:11 pm
Monticello, NY

Dude, you must be one hell of a fisherman!!!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.