Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Free

JADFebruary 6th, 2010, 8:19 am
Alexandria Pa

I just want my fellow Troutnuters to know, I have lots of free snow if any buddy needs any.

Way to many white spinners laying around.

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
TroutnutFebruary 6th, 2010, 9:59 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

How much to truck it all up to Fairbanks?

We're having a near-record dry winter, only about 22 inches of snowfall since September. Luckily none of it has melted.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
OldredbarnFebruary 6th, 2010, 10:35 am
Novi, MI

How about sending it to Vancouver? I hear they are having problems with snow or the lack thereof and the Olympics are right around the corner.

When we have this weather pattern it's strange and Ohio and points south of the Michigan border get all the snow. It's cold here today in Detroit but sunny and no extra snow fall.

We are way under our annual average snow fall...I almost put snow tires on the car this year and just decided I could make it through for this year just by replacing my old set...What luck, eh?!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CaseyPFebruary 6th, 2010, 10:44 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT POLITICAL COMMENTARY so don't all kick me at once:

heard on the weather channel that the current snowy winter is in retaliation for our president's disparaging remarks about snow, Washington, and residents of Washington. Apparently they were the usual nonsense spouted by people from Chicago who think Washingtonians can't deal with snow.

Jason, you should invite your president up for a nice moose barbeque, and maybe you'll get some snow! :-)

Oldredbarn, i bought a Ford Escape 4WD last week...;-)
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
OldredbarnFebruary 6th, 2010, 11:39 am
Novi, MI

Casey,

Is that comment to let me know you were prepared just it time for the snow or in support of good old Detriot iron? I guess it's the Big One up here these days instead of the Big Three.

My sister-in-law works for Fords so I'll thank you for her. Her husband just retired last year from GM...My wife's father retired from GM back in 1979...

I love all-wheel-drive. I had a Jeep years back and four wheel drive scares me once you are actually sliding. I had leased two Bravada's and that little Saab 92x with all wheel drive. I then purchased, on the GM family plan, a 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero Sportwagon and actually got stuck in the snow last year for the first time since the 70's...You would think a car from Sweden would handle some snow?! Don't ever buy a car with low profile tires! I don't know what the hell I was thinking...

Now that I re-read this i think I should of sent it as a private letter since it has nothing to do with fishing, but I'm too lazy to re-type it...Sorry!

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
WbranchFebruary 6th, 2010, 12:13 pm
York & Starlight PA

Spence,

What you could of done to not re-type the post would be to go to the beginning of your post, then left click the last letter to highlight it, just move the cursor to the top of teh document, keeping your finger depressed on the left button. Then when it is highlighted go to the top margin and click on "Edit", then click on "Cut", then prepare your PM or email and bring the cursor down to where you would normally start to compose the document and just right click and you'll see a pull down kind of memu, just click on "Paste" and the stuff you saved from the other document will appear in the new area. It's a lot easier to do then it is too write out how to do it!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
WbranchFebruary 6th, 2010, 12:18 pm
York & Starlight PA

It's hard to get an exact measurement but in southern York County we had between 24" and 28". The guy who used to plow my driveway called me last night and told me his truck crapped out and I couldn't get anyone else so I parked the Outback down at the very bottom of the driveway. Then at 10:00 I put on my waders and wading shoes and went out and shoveled a path, the width of the shovel, 100' down to the car and shoveled out the two tons of snow the plow pushed into the entrance to the driveway. Now on Monday I should be able to drive my wife to work with no difficulty.

I big pile of snow at the bottom of the driveway is my car covered with snow.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CaseyPFebruary 6th, 2010, 7:09 pm

and shoveled out the two tons of snow the plow pushed into the entrance to the driveway.--Wbranch

you got a plow on your street? wow. send it our way. we've not had a plow in 8 years, not even in December with 16 inches. why?

"It's gonna melt in a week anyways, so what's the problem?"

Shawnny3February 8th, 2010, 9:52 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

We were out of town for the weekend (in the snowbelt of NY, where less than an inch fell), and only found out how much snow we'd gotten upon our return (14 inches, about double what they were predicting). We spent the first quarter of the Super Bowl shoveling in the dark. I quite enjoy shoveling, though - free exercise. Not that I'm volunteering to do anyone else's...

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JADFebruary 8th, 2010, 9:59 am
Alexandria Pa

Ah Shawn

I was just getting ready to -then you added the last part.

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Shawnny3February 8th, 2010, 1:05 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Sorry, John. It looks like I might get another chance to enjoy shoveling later this week - looks like up to another foot could be on the way.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
CaseyPFebruary 8th, 2010, 2:18 pm

we've not had a plow in 8 years

well, whaddayano...we came back from a week OOT, to find: yup, our street, and even our tiny two house cul-de-sac, all cleaned. there is a pile of snow higher than my head in front of the house.

we spent the day digging out and playing musical cars so the right ones are on top for tomorrow morning. BTW, where do you put the snow?

our neighbor opened the door to his VW without cleaning it off, and simply drove it into the middle of the street; one of the funnier things you'll ever see, a mobile mound of snow puttering down the drive. once clear of his clean driveway, he proceeded to push the mound off the VW into the street where we can all smush it down driving by.

and i am very disappointed to report we only measured 16 inches on the deck--maybe it was 18 on Saturday?
Flatstick96February 8th, 2010, 3:22 pm
The real challenge isn't shoveling out your driveway, it's when you're the first guy to the stream and you get to break the streamside trail through thigh-deep snow.

It's even better when the massive snowfall is followed by just enough rain to put an ice crust on top of the deep snow.

Better still is when said ice crust is JUUUUUUUST thick enough that you ALMOST think you can walk on top of it...but each time, just as you put your weight on it - through you go. And that happens step...after step...after step...

But it's worth it to have the stream to yourself; winter fishing = good times.

Several times I've enjoyed these conditions while fishing with Shawnny's skinny ass (I've got him by at least 50 pounds); invariably the crust on the snow is thick enough to support his weight but not mine - he's probably still laughing at the sight of me floundering along, right on the brink of a heart attack...
Shawnny3February 9th, 2010, 7:21 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

As you said, good times.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.