Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > White Miller Bug

This topic is about the Caddisfly Species Nectopsyche albida

This is the most prominent species of Nectopsyche in most northern states nationwide, and it earned the common name "White Miller" for the genus.

Because Nectopsyche albida is nocturnal, is a favorite of late-season night fishermen. Read more...

The Discussion

MIKE54May 3rd, 2013, 7:22 pm
Posts: 2Where did the name "White Miller" come from, for the caddis bug in the warm Yellowstone waters? I am not interested in the east coast mayfly with the same name. Thanks, Mike Miller.
SayfuMay 3rd, 2013, 8:12 pm
Hordes of them come off on my Main Snake, but not on either the North, or South Fork of the Snake. A good sized caddis, (#12-14) with bright green bodies. Timing I believe is in Sept-Oct.
EntomanMay 4th, 2013, 4:51 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum!

White Miller as a common name was originally applied to a wet fly, not an insect. It goes back very far. It had been in existence for some time by the 1890's when the fly by that name was suggested by Mary Orvis Marbury as good to use "when the white moths were about." People call things lots of names and it has been applied to the mayfly genus Ephoron by a few, but it has mostly been used by eastern anglers for the caddis genus Nectopsyche at least as far back as the early 20th century. The most common species is transcontinental and there are others as well. The name was applied to western populations only recently, after anglers became aware of them and they were confirmed to be the same critters as their eastern counterparts.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
AdirmanMay 4th, 2013, 5:25 pm
Monticello, NY

I remember reading about that pattern in Bergmans Trout. As I recall, he held high regard for that fly, especially for fishing for Browns. Not sure what species of mayfly it was supposed to represent and maybe it was more of an attractor pattern, but he swore by it,especially when fishing up in the catskills , as one of his real go-to patterns.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.