> > April 1st, Page 2

Jmd123April 1st, 2013, 10:47 pm
Oscoda, MI

OK, there's still time!

Stonefly thinks to self,
"Should I go lay eggs today?",
then feeds a brown trout.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnApril 1st, 2013, 11:48 pm
Novi, MI

seemingly disparate points but with clever or cryptic meaning

Spring paints the valley with yellow blossoms
The lazy Brown looks to the sky
Tony & Eric whisper in Spencer's ear
"non-resident PA fishing license must buy..." :)

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
GutcutterApril 2nd, 2013, 8:39 am
Pennsylvania

Ahhhh!!!!
Thank God it's over.
Kurt, James, Allan, Kyle, Louis, Rougerat, Jon, Casey and Spence:
Don't quit your day jobs!
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Feathers5April 2nd, 2013, 10:00 am
dies face down in the pond
of vomit that covers his head.
CrepuscularApril 2nd, 2013, 11:53 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Ahhhh!!!!
Thank God it's over.
Kurt, James, Allan, Kyle, Louis, Rougerat, Jon, Casey and Spence:
Don't quit your day jobs!

Bruce reads this thread,
dies face down in the pond
of vomit that covers his head.

Yeah what they said!!!
EntomanApril 2nd, 2013, 1:05 pm
Northern CA & ID

:)LOL

Remember Seinfeld? What Festivus is to Christmas, Haiku Day is now to Easter.:) LOL

Ahh! My ribs hurt...:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123April 2nd, 2013, 3:44 pm
Oscoda, MI

BTW Tony, I have TWO day jobs - Field Biology is a go this summer AND my consulting work is picking up! To be brutally honest, I never thought of poetry, Haiku or otherwise, as a way to make a living...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnApril 2nd, 2013, 5:09 pm
Novi, MI

My grandmother grew up in the western end of Maryland. She had a small scar on her chin from when she had let the horses out of the barn for the first time in spring. They would buck & kick, and go crazy. We can be thankful, me thinks, that the door of spring has sprung and no one seems to have gotten hurt...:) except the poetic sensibilities of our own literary critic, T.S. Eliot Gutcutter who has been heard reciting Ezra Pound while he's repairing someone's innards.

If we don't get his waders wet soon he'll go crazy and we will be sending him off to St Elizabeth's where Mr Pound spent some of his last days. :)

As Bruce might say, "Be patient Antonio, we will be poking cattle soon." ;)

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123April 2nd, 2013, 7:37 pm
Oscoda, MI

There once was a gang called the Troutnuts
who said poetry is Okay BUT
Haiku is forbidden
it is only written
on April first or Jason goes NEE-utts!!!

Jonathon
OldredbarnApril 2nd, 2013, 8:32 pm
Novi, MI

That's correct Jonathon and its April 2nd, so give it a rest. :)it was funny yesterday for a few moments and now they have passed.

I agree with Tony...we basically suck at this. Nerd haiku...No Nobel Prizes in Literature for any of us...Too bad.

Spence

TroutnutApril 3rd, 2013, 4:24 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Jonathon's in the clear... limericks are permitted at all times.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
OldredbarnApril 3rd, 2013, 10:35 am
Novi, MI

Jonathon's in the clear... limericks are permitted at all times.

Really?! :) Once a year is painful enough...Most folks, especially myself, wouldn't be ill served if they had a good editor at their disposal...;)

I remember my freshman english prof lecturing me on my run-on sentences...I explained that Faulkner and James Joyce did it..."Hell! Joyce wrote a whole book that is basically one sentence..." "Yeah...But you are neither of them." Ouch! :)

There once was a scientist in Alaska...;)

Spence

Jmd123April 3rd, 2013, 12:46 pm
Oscoda, MI

I was going to mention this but Jason has spoken for me, and he is the ultimate authority on this website. But, you are lucky Spence, my creativity has run out, at least with regards to poetry...gotta save it for the vise now!

Jonathon
WbranchApril 3rd, 2013, 4:28 pm
York & Starlight PA

"But, you are lucky Spence, my creativity has run out"

Oh, No! I'm devastated. I was hoping for more of your melodic murmurrings.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Kschaefer3April 3rd, 2013, 4:50 pm
St. Paul, MN

I was hoping for more of your melodic murmurrings.
I am not sure if my murmurrings are quite as melodic, but I can certainly oblige ;)
OldredbarnApril 4th, 2013
Novi, MI

But, you are lucky Spence

That I am sir...That I am...

Tony & Eric whisper in Spencer's ear
"non-resident PA fishing license must buy..." :)

Other than Kurt, and those involved...sworn to secrecy...How come no one asked about this odd, "cyrptic" line? There was a mention of a trout stamp as well but I was having a hard enough time as it was with the forced rhyme.

The "fishing wagon" is loaded...with more flies any one man can toss all season, let alone in one week...The Molson's are a chillin...and the Turnpike awaits...

"Lucky" Spence is getting a guided tour from "those Pennsylvania Boys" of some very Hallowed Waters...I'll be incommunicado...Fishing report to follow. :) I should say reports...:)

Tony, Eric, Louis, Bruce, Shawn, John...I got my passport renewed so they will let me pass through Ohio on my way to the Keystone State...;)

Matt...We will miss you buddy! Eine Gute Reise and enjoy your trip, we will meet on a stream someday soon sir!

Vielen Dank!

Spence

EntomanApril 4th, 2013, 7:46 pm
Northern CA & ID

Bruce-

It did not go without notice that your humorous limerick on April 2 was in strict observance of the spirit of the Haiku Rule. Nice recovery.

As that aspect of the rule was unclear at the time, I believe your incomplete one on the 1st doesn't qualify you as an official scofflaw, which is the prime requirement for membership in the exclusive TN sect known as "Martin's Miscreants." Of course, Louis is the final arbiter and you may qualify for other reasons known by him.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.