Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Gonzo's Book

LastchanceJune 6th, 2010, 5:42 am
Portage, PA

Hey Gonzo. What is the title of your book and is still being sold? Is it sold at Barnes & Noble because I have some gift cards to use.
Bruce
GutcutterJune 6th, 2010, 6:56 am
Pennsylvania

bruce
i bought it on amazon yesterday. "flyfishing pressured waters:tying tactics for today's trout"
the reviews were over the top - some guy named louis and another named shawn and some nutjob named jason...
tony
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
GONZOJune 6th, 2010, 10:11 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Bruce,

Surprisingly (to me at least), that poor rag is still available at B&N, though why they list it as a "paperback" is beyond me. Amazon has a better price, but gift cards might make the difference.

Tony,

Many thanks, and yes, all of the reviewers (including those in the national magazines) have been generous to a fault. Of all the kind words, this may have been the most surprising (scroll down to the bottom to bypass the usual locker-room innuendo of the preceding posts):
http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=644574
Also surprising is that this was apparently transcribed word for word. (There is an extraneous comma inserted in the third line and a misspelled word in the second paragraph.)
MartinlfJune 6th, 2010, 2:05 pm
Palmyra PA

Hey, I was paid good money for that review!!

Actually I'm pretty sure I wrote it before I had even met Lloyd, or knew about this site. A buddy loaned the book to me, and I was amazed. The first really new fly designs I'd seen anywhere. Soon afterward I met Lloyd through the Spruce Creek Fly Company's board (sadly defunct) when he helped us identify a bug we were all puzzled over.

Just a day or so ago I applied one of his methods to a fly of my own design and burned a poly yarn parachute post into a mayfly wing after I had tied it on the hook stirrup style--the fly is one of the emergers tied on the Gamakatsu C15-BV hook that Gutcutter and I like. I'm eager to test the fly out.

I can't list all the little methods I've picked up from the book, and I've even tied and fished a number of Lloyd's designs. And caught fish on each of them, most recently a very picky big brown on his upside down mayfly dun.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3June 6th, 2010, 8:38 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Gonzo agreed to give me 10% of his book revenue for that glowing endorsement. As a result, I've been able to cut back my hours at work and spend more time fishing.

In truth, though, it is a really good book.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.