Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > E. aurivillii

The Specimen

Ephemerella aurivillii Mayfly NymphEphemerella aurivillii  Mayfly Nymph View 7 Pictures
Collected May 10, 2008 from the Chena River in Alaska
Added to Troutnut.com by on April 20, 2011

The Discussion

EntomanApril 26th, 2011, 10:10 pm
Northern CA & ID

Jason,

I was going to share my belief that this specimen is E. aurivillii, but I see you beat me to it.:) Oh well, with all the "fast gun" Bugmeisters on this site, there are really only two types, "the quick and the dead!":)

This species is fairly common in the West, but nobody seems to know what the duns look like. If you could catch some ripe nymphs this spring and hatch them into duns, it would be excellent reportage.

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TroutnutApril 26th, 2011, 10:20 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Haha, you get full credit for calling the ID to my attention. I checked through my key and sure enough that seems to be it.

I'd love to hear about the cooler device. I've seen similar things but am always interested in a new take on something like that. PM me if you want, or just post where everyone can see... I'm sure others would like to know about that too.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.
Most Recent Posts
Re: large free living caddis rhyacophila?
In the Identify This! Board by Kjfeen (Taxon replied)