Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Unknown bug all over house

Sunppy has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.5X larger)
SunppyDecember 22nd, 2013, 9:57 pm

I am recently seeing a bug in my house that I don't know where it is coming from. I have killed at least 10 in the past month, every time I clean or do anything, I find them at random times.
They are in the living room, bathroom, and kitchen... I always find one at a time, and never in a group.

They don't fly, they have long "antennas". It is dark brown and has stripes on the body.

I attached a picture. Sorry it is not very clear, it keeps moving.

Can anyone tell me what type of bug this is? And how to get rid of them without calling an exterminator?
I live in South Florida in an apartment. I have no pets, and have a relatively clean house, except I keep seeing these bugs.

Thanks in advance!
CrepuscularDecember 22nd, 2013, 10:06 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Although the photo is not the best, it looks like a roach.
BrookymanDecember 22nd, 2013, 10:23 pm
Banned
I wish I could say welcome to our forum under better circumstances.

They are what are commonly called the "German Cockroach" I say that only because years back in the 80's I lived in a apartment and they were everywhere. Not just somewhere = EVERYWHERE.

They get into everything including your bed and microwave. They love warm areas like under you stove, fridge "because of the motor", microwaves, anything that produces heat and moisture. You better call someone and start the spraying treatment cause war has just been declared on your home.

PS I lived in Fort Lauderdale for many years you have more than just this specie. You have the palmetto bug version of the Cockroach the are large and fly, + you also have the Carribean species large fat and do not fly.

this is the palmetto roach.

this is the caribbean roach.

this is the German roach.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
SunppyDecember 22nd, 2013, 10:28 pm
Posts: 4I don't think it is a roach because it is only about 1.5 cm long and it doesnt look like it has wings.
SunppyDecember 22nd, 2013, 10:37 pm
Posts: 4Brookyman, Thank You very much for your help! I will try to get rid of them before they grow any bigger.

This is not a great way to spend my holidays.
Thanks Again!
BrookymanDecember 22nd, 2013, 10:41 pm
Banned
Roachs start out as a baby of less than 1 mm. The German ones grow to about 3/4. The Palmetto version grow to about 2 1/2 inch's and fly, and the Caribbean ones the fat guys and don't to grow more that about 1 1/4 inch's.

Living in South Florida it is just part of the gig. I lived in southport near the 17th street causeway for 8 years trust me I know first hand. The German one are called German cause they will take over your world if you don't get them sprayed. The others are a fact of life and don't tend to breed in your home. The German ones breed anywhere you let them.

Mack.
Banned for threatening another user and then trying to circumvent a kinder "soft" ban with fake accounts
BrookymanDecember 22nd, 2013, 10:53 pm
Banned
PS / ducktape helps too in places you don't want to spray. Pull off a long piece, roll the ends so it will stick to the floor and put crumbs of food on it, turn out the lights and you will catch plenty. They get stuck to the tape :-). Also the little lizards in the grass with stripes on their backs can be a great friend open the windows they come in and eat the roaches.
SunppyDecember 22nd, 2013, 11:29 pm
Posts: 4Thanks, I will be buying bait and spray in a few days to try and get rid of them.

The ducktape idea seems like it might work too! :)
Feathers5December 23rd, 2013, 9:40 am
Posts: 287That's called a "Cleaning Bug." Whenever you don't clean, you get 'em. They are part of the Cleanus Dirtus family. They are easy to identify. Most will be carrying a slice of your lunchmeat in their mouthus swallowmus.

Merry Christmas!
CaseyPDecember 23rd, 2013, 9:52 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

roaches are hard to get rid of, especially in hot climates, but we did manage it in Indonesia, using a bait containing Boric Acid.

be careful of this stuff! put it out of the way of children and pets, like at the back of base cabinets in the kitchen and bath, especially under the sinks, where the bugs like to be in any case. keep the cabinets closed except to take out what you need. sweep up the dead bugs every morning. the ones you don't see will take the dust back to their buddies and eventually the whole colony is wiped out. they'll be back, but by then you know what to do.

we mixed Boric Acid with powdered milk 1:1. a teaspoon or so in the back corners of every base cabinet (away from the pots and pans and toilet paper) did the trick.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
LastchanceDecember 23rd, 2013, 4:45 pm
Portage, PA

Hello, I am new to this forum.

I am recently seeing a bug in my house that I don't know where it is coming from. I have killed at least 10 in the past month, every time I clean or do anything, I find them at random times.
They are in the living room, bathroom, and kitchen... I always find one at a time, and never in a group.

They don't fly, they have long "antennas". It is dark brown and has stripes on the body.

I attached a picture. Sorry it is not very clear, it keeps moving.

Can anyone tell me what type of bug this is? And how to get rid of them without calling an exterminator?
I live in South Florida in an apartment. I have no pets, and have a relatively clean house, except I keep seeing these bugs.

Thanks in advance!

Sunppy! Hello and welcome to the forum. I got to thinking my joking might have been offensive to you being that you're new. I meant no harm. On behalf of the people of my planet, and myself, I'd like to express my sincere apology. I'd like to, but I can't. Nah, I was kidding again.
Seriously, don't be offended. I was just cutting up. Oops. I ended a sentence in a preposition.
JOHNWDecember 23rd, 2013, 5:33 pm
Chambersburg, PA

And now you know why he is called LAst Chance!
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
MartinlfDecember 25th, 2013, 11:39 pm
Palmyra PA

Bruce, Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which grammarians will not put. However, ending one with a particle in a phrasal verb is perfectly acceptable, even for the most pedantic.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CaseyPDecember 27th, 2013, 9:39 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

Bruce, Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which grammarians will not put. However, ending one with a particle in a phrasal verb is perfectly acceptable, even for the most pedantic. (Martinlf)

ah, Louis, thank you for making my Master's worthwhile after all...i spent two long years trying to explain why your statement is true. in the end, the general conclusion was something like "...because people speak that way..." and "Not all ups, downs, ins, outs, and overs are prepositions."

trans: if it doesn't fit the rule, change its name and rewrite the rule.

roaches bring new friend.
we parse the many answers.
redefine! restate!

:-P
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.