Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Unknown bug all over house

Sunppy has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.5X larger)
SunppyDecember 22nd, 2013, 9:57 pm

I am recently seeing a bug in my house that I don't know where it is coming from. I have killed at least 10 in the past month, every time I clean or do anything, I find them at random times.
They are in the living room, bathroom, and kitchen... I always find one at a time, and never in a group.

They don't fly, they have long "antennas". It is dark brown and has stripes on the body.

I attached a picture. Sorry it is not very clear, it keeps moving.

Can anyone tell me what type of bug this is? And how to get rid of them without calling an exterminator?
I live in South Florida in an apartment. I have no pets, and have a relatively clean house, except I keep seeing these bugs.

Thanks in advance!
CrepuscularDecember 22nd, 2013, 10:06 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Although the photo is not the best, it looks like a roach.
SunppyDecember 22nd, 2013, 10:28 pm
Posts: 4I don't think it is a roach because it is only about 1.5 cm long and it doesnt look like it has wings.
SunppyDecember 22nd, 2013, 10:37 pm
Posts: 4Brookyman, Thank You very much for your help! I will try to get rid of them before they grow any bigger.

This is not a great way to spend my holidays.
Thanks Again!
SunppyDecember 22nd, 2013, 11:29 pm
Posts: 4Thanks, I will be buying bait and spray in a few days to try and get rid of them.

The ducktape idea seems like it might work too! :)
Feathers5December 23rd, 2013, 9:40 am
Posts: 287That's called a "Cleaning Bug." Whenever you don't clean, you get 'em. They are part of the Cleanus Dirtus family. They are easy to identify. Most will be carrying a slice of your lunchmeat in their mouthus swallowmus.

Merry Christmas!
CaseyPDecember 23rd, 2013, 9:52 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

roaches are hard to get rid of, especially in hot climates, but we did manage it in Indonesia, using a bait containing Boric Acid.

be careful of this stuff! put it out of the way of children and pets, like at the back of base cabinets in the kitchen and bath, especially under the sinks, where the bugs like to be in any case. keep the cabinets closed except to take out what you need. sweep up the dead bugs every morning. the ones you don't see will take the dust back to their buddies and eventually the whole colony is wiped out. they'll be back, but by then you know what to do.

we mixed Boric Acid with powdered milk 1:1. a teaspoon or so in the back corners of every base cabinet (away from the pots and pans and toilet paper) did the trick.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
LastchanceDecember 23rd, 2013, 4:45 pm
Portage, PA

Hello, I am new to this forum.

I am recently seeing a bug in my house that I don't know where it is coming from. I have killed at least 10 in the past month, every time I clean or do anything, I find them at random times.
They are in the living room, bathroom, and kitchen... I always find one at a time, and never in a group.

They don't fly, they have long "antennas". It is dark brown and has stripes on the body.

I attached a picture. Sorry it is not very clear, it keeps moving.

Can anyone tell me what type of bug this is? And how to get rid of them without calling an exterminator?
I live in South Florida in an apartment. I have no pets, and have a relatively clean house, except I keep seeing these bugs.

Thanks in advance!

Sunppy! Hello and welcome to the forum. I got to thinking my joking might have been offensive to you being that you're new. I meant no harm. On behalf of the people of my planet, and myself, I'd like to express my sincere apology. I'd like to, but I can't. Nah, I was kidding again.
Seriously, don't be offended. I was just cutting up. Oops. I ended a sentence in a preposition.
JOHNWDecember 23rd, 2013, 5:33 pm
Chambersburg, PA

And now you know why he is called LAst Chance!
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
MartinlfDecember 25th, 2013, 11:39 pm
Palmyra PA

Bruce, Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which grammarians will not put. However, ending one with a particle in a phrasal verb is perfectly acceptable, even for the most pedantic.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CaseyPDecember 27th, 2013, 9:39 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

Bruce, Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which grammarians will not put. However, ending one with a particle in a phrasal verb is perfectly acceptable, even for the most pedantic. (Martinlf)

ah, Louis, thank you for making my Master's worthwhile after all...i spent two long years trying to explain why your statement is true. in the end, the general conclusion was something like "...because people speak that way..." and "Not all ups, downs, ins, outs, and overs are prepositions."

trans: if it doesn't fit the rule, change its name and rewrite the rule.

roaches bring new friend.
we parse the many answers.
redefine! restate!

:-P
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.