Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Just took one of my favorite fish pictures! Guess the fish's size.

Troutnut has attached this picture. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.4X larger)
TroutnutJuly 11th, 2012, 11:36 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I found a little gem of a stream today with some dolly varden within a couple hours of Fairbanks. They're the farthest north native trout I've caught, not counting grayling. I'll put several pictures on the site in the usual way, hopefully soon, but I wanted to post this one as soon as it came off the camera because I really liked how it came out.

Anyone care to guess how big this fish was?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
WbranchJuly 11th, 2012, 11:41 pm
York & Starlight PA

11".
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TaxonJuly 12th, 2012, 12:21 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

17.625"
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
ShantiJuly 12th, 2012, 8:06 am
Sweden

I'm to stunned to make a good guess.
Truly amazing photo!
I would love to have that above the living room couch. Or maybe throw out the TV (since I rarely watch it anyway) and put this picture there instead.
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..
OldredbarnJuly 12th, 2012, 10:38 am
Novi, MI

17.625"

That's pretty damn exact there Roger! :) You have some math program that counts the spots and calculates the size of the fish? I don't think I see parr marks, but I'm going to go in Matt's direction and say 9-10"s.

Those rocks could be butternut squash sized or bigger and the fins on this fish do look rather developed, but I'm thinking Jason has some sort of trick lens on there that makes all his fish look bigger :), or he forgot to remove his "bug lens". If you hold a fish out at arms length, an old guide trick, it can look like you are holding a whale. Example: If you look at my fish in my profile pic everything is pretty much to scale...I have a picture of that same fish held up close to the lens by the guy who took my picture and it dwarfs him. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TaxonJuly 12th, 2012, 11:17 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Spence,

:-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Shawnny3July 12th, 2012, 12:17 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

8"
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
EntomanJuly 12th, 2012, 1:13 pm
Northern CA & ID

Spence -

You have some math program that counts the spots and calculates the size of the fish?

Close... I think he's going by scale size. Can't you see them? Based on the size of the pectorals ;), I think it's 8" give or take a few.

BTW - Beautiful photo, Jason. You're very talented...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Pryal74July 12th, 2012, 2:55 pm
Escanaba, MI

That's an outstanding photo!! That's one of the best underwater photos I have ever seen!

9 inches?
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
OrnJuly 13th, 2012, 5:23 am

That's a fantastic photo! I'll say 25 cm(SI-units FTW)
TroutnutJuly 13th, 2012, 11:32 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Some good guesses here. Now I'm wishing I had actually measured it with a ruler, so I could see who was closest. It was in the 8.5-9" range.

I didn't do anything special with the perspective to make it look bigger, but I like how it came out that way just because there's nothing to give you a concrete sense of size in the photo. Entoman had the right idea looking at the scale sizes.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
PaulRobertsJuly 13th, 2012, 12:24 pm
Colorado

Wow. Stunning. Ahhhhhhhhh.......

It looks mature, or very close, owing to the full and rounded fins. It looks like a very small fish, compact in body size due to the extreme (far northern) location. I'll agree with Kurt on ballpark size, but change the units to inches, or even cm.

Ach! Jason you got there first.
TroutnutJuly 13th, 2012, 3:04 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

It looks mature, or very close, owing to the full and rounded fins. It looks like a very small fish, compact in body size due to the extreme (far northern) location. I'll agree with Kurt on ballpark size, but change the units to inches, or even cm.

All correct. This tiny stream has a population of non-anadromous dwarf dolly varden with a size range similar to lots of small brookie streams back east. I missed brookie fishing... now I have a place to get my fix!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
PaulRobertsJuly 13th, 2012, 3:30 pm
Colorado

Jason, what's the camera you used?
TroutnutJuly 13th, 2012, 4:47 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Canon D10. Like all the waterproof compacts it's hit-or-miss on quality, but it gets some great hits! They have a newer one out that looks great, the D20 (not to be confused with the 20D, the very non-waterproof old DSLR I used for most of this site).
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
PaulRobertsJuly 13th, 2012, 5:36 pm
Colorado

Thanks, Jason.

I have the Oly, which works well enough provided there's enough light. I asked bc while snorkling last week mine leaked(!), which fogged the lens for a day or so. Scared me. I'd had the seals replaced this winter but, as I feared, messing with something complex that works, is asking for trouble.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.