Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fishing in the Washington DC Area?????

LamOctober 14th, 2007, 8:48 am
Lancaster, PA

I will be at a seminar for a few days right near Washington Dulles airport. Does anyone know of any local trout fishing streams? DC or Virginia or anywhere within 1/2 hr of the airport hotels?

lam
CaseyPOctober 14th, 2007, 9:39 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

you have no idea how suburbanized--and flat--the Dulles area is. however, it is possible to fish, and depending upon when you arrive, for trout. twice a year, in Oct. and Feb., our local NVATU cleans and stocks two streams, one inside and one just oustide the Beltway. they are good for an evening's relaxation. because of the drought this fall, they have been cleaned, but not stocked so far. check the website http://www.nvatu.org/ for further information. if you're still interested, send me a message, and maybe we can wet a line.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
LamOctober 14th, 2007, 11:02 am
Lancaster, PA

check your pm caseyp
Jmd123October 20th, 2007, 11:44 pm
Oscoda, MI

Lam, if you're up for some warm-water fishing, Rock Creek had a LOT of fish in it when I was there in '94. I was there in May and there was a massive shad run coming in. I managed to catch none of these, but instead some bluegill and bass. While hiking along the river I came across a school of nice bass, then a short distance upstream a school of nice bluegill that were taking insects off the surface. I don't know what conditions are like there today, but you might check it out if you have the time. It's also a very pretty park with some huge old-growth white oaks and tulip-trees.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
LamOctober 21st, 2007, 4:23 am
Lancaster, PA

Thanks for the info guys. My seminar is already over and I am back in PA. As it turned out, I didn't have any spare time to explore.
SwitchfisheOctober 21st, 2007, 4:31 pm
Woodbridge, VA

There is actually plenty of fishing very close in.

I work in Gaithersburg above DC once a week and hit the Potomac, Patuxent or Great Seneca Creek after work while I wait for the traffic to die down.

CaseyP was referring to the Accotink and Holmes run - those are in VA.

If you can pop north to MD, you will have more fun on your next trip.

You should get the book = "Guide to Maryland Trout Fishing" in the library. It has detailed descriptions and directions.
Steve
Blog: http://www.switchfisher.com
LamOctober 21st, 2007, 6:49 pm
Lancaster, PA

I don't have that book but my local fly shop has it. Maybe I will check it out. I rarely get down that far south but I have one client in Maryland Line, MD. which, as you can guess by it's name, is at the MD, PA border. the Gunpowder is close by and I fished it once butI was rushed and didn't really give it much of a chance. I know A few guys that fish the Gunpowder and they say it is great. There is a fly shop that I have stopped at a few times, I think the name is "Great Feathers" fly shop or something close to that. It's a nice area and I would like to check it out further.
IEatimagoOctober 22nd, 2007, 12:51 pm
Spring Mills, PA

i have had some fun days at gunpowder when i lived in baltimore, but there were many rough days aswell.
IMO id fish mainly from masemore rd. to the bottom of the dam.
and that book is pretty informative.

TheflyguyJanuary 17th, 2009, 5:47 pm
Posts: 1I would try out Rose River Farm. Its about an hour from the Dulles Airport. It has killer fly fishing for big Rainbow trout. I fish at the farm a couple times a month. their website is www.roseriverfarm.com
EricdJune 12th, 2009, 9:10 am
Mpls, MN

I'll check out the book, "Guide to Maryland Trout Fishing." I have a career opportunity in D.C. in 2010. It sounds like everyone commutes from Maryland anyway. Thanks.
AMOCACBApril 28th, 2015, 7:33 am
Posts: 6Hi. I am a Brit who is in Washington DC for a weekend (9/10 May) and hoping to get into a stream and make contact with some local trout. I would really value any suggestions or advice. The matter is complicated by the fact that I will only have the mere essentials of tackle with me due to airline baggage restrictions. Only found this website today so pardon my ignorance of the area and its fishing that would doubtless have been cured by deeper reading of this fascinating resource.
WbranchApril 28th, 2015, 8:24 am
York & Starlight PA

I'm not too familiar with the trout fishing near DC but about 50 miles north off of Interstate 83 in the Hereford area is a wild brown trout stream named Gunpowder River.

I'd bet there are a few trout streams that are closer in nearby Virginia and maybe Googling will help you.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRobertsApril 28th, 2015, 8:32 pm
Colorado

I believe there are a few there. Howell Raines book, "FF Through the Midlife Crisis" talked about DC trout fishing some. Don't remember the stream names. Found this link though:
http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=15735
RMlytleApril 28th, 2015, 10:19 pm
Connecticut

I know of a gentleman that caught a wild cutthroat somewhere in Maryland, quite close to D.C. It may take a lot of prying to get that spot out of him though. He described the fish as a "Maryland Unicorn".
AMOCACBApril 29th, 2015, 5:30 am
Posts: 6Thank you very much for these suggestions. I will see if I cannot get out to the Rose River. Any further possible options would be very warmly received.
TKBApril 29th, 2015, 4:00 pm
Pennsylvania

I doubt the veracity of any "gentleman" making claims about wild cutthroat anywhere east of the 105th meridian......
BoulderWorkMay 1st, 2015, 6:12 am

Good early morning.

I am a native Washington, DC resident and have fly fished for just a little over 36 years in the DC, MD, VA, PA and NY area. Let me know when you are arriving in the area. It would be my honor to orientate you to the most opportune area to fish for wild trout and hatches. If you need tackle or flies, etc - no problem.

It would be most appropriate for one fly fisherman to insure another has a memorable experience in the area.

As a side suggestion, I would recommend reading Mid-Atlantic Budget Angler, by Ann McIntosh and/or Guide to Maryland Trout Fishing by Charles Gelso and Larry Coburn. If required, I can loan you these books during your stay as well.
AMOCACBMay 5th, 2015, 10:49 am
Posts: 6Thank you so much for this offer which is most kind. I have arrived in NY en route to DC and will be back in touch very shortly with some contact details. Regards, Andrew
AMOCACBMay 5th, 2015, 12:08 pm
Posts: 6Would you be good enough to email me on andrewbrodey@hotmail.com? Thank you. Andrew
BoulderWorkMay 6th, 2015, 7:42 am
Posts: 29Emailing now. Good day yesterday in PA hitting chimarra and sprinkling of invaria.

BoulderWork
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.