Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Bayfield, WI area in early September

RleePAugust 21st, 2012, 7:31 pm
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

Hi Folks: I've been around off and on here at T-Nut for a number of years and knowing we have a few northern Wisconsinites hanging around, I'd like to ask a couple questions and would appreciate any help, either here on the forum or via PM.

Petunia and i were supposed to vacation out in the Santa Fe/Albuquerque area in early August this year, but then my 87 year old Mom went into a downward spiral in mid-July and we put her in hospice and she finally passed away about 10 days ago. She's been hanging on the edge for a couple years now, so it wasn't unexpected and I've been as ready as a guy can get for this sort of thing for quite a while. So, that part of it was OK.

But it did blow our vacation out of the water and now the only week Petunia can get off work is the week of Labor Day. We've been going to the UP of Michigan every September for the past 5-6 years and thought we'd make a minor change and head up to Bayfield and hang out. Do the Apostle Islands thing, read some books, take some naps, sample some local restaurants and just generally fiddle fart around.

So, here's my questions: 1) I see quite a few smaller WI Class I trout streams in Bayfield County on the WI_DNR maps, but I also know how the streams in that part of the world heat up in Summer and how the fish travel. I learned this from bitter experience in fishing the Porkies to the east all those years. Do any of the Bayfield County streams have enough spring input to be decent viable destinations for the time frame I have in mind. I'm a brush buster and don't mind alder-clogged creeks, so long as there are some fish. I don't even mind small fish. Just some place to go while Petunia is shopping or snoozing and I have some free time.

Barring any decent trout water, do any of the bigger creeks/smaller rivers in the area have smallmouth and if so, are they somewhat wadeable? Once again, I don't care if the bass are mostly on the small size.

I'm only interested in flowing water fisheries and I'm interested in any place I can get to within a 60-75 minute drive of Bayfield.

No secrets will be shared. They'll all die with me. And the way I've been feeling lately, that may not be far off..:)

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Like I say, on the open forum or via PM, either is fine. Thanks so much...

Best,

Lee
TroutnutAugust 21st, 2012, 11:08 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Sorry for your loss!

The short answer to your fishing questions is yes, you can get into some good fishing there at that time of year. I'll PM you the long answer.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
RleePAugust 22nd, 2012, 7:19 am

Got it! PM returned.

Thanks, Jason!
PaulRobertsAugust 22nd, 2012, 11:19 am
Colorado

Howdy Lee!

Lost my Mom a couple years ago. It was very hard. But my memories of it are actually ... nice. If you can understand that.

Enjoy that brush busting. It should help restore your soul some.
MinnesotaAugust 25th, 2012, 1:58 am
Caledonia MN/LaCrosse WI

I don't know about the fishing, but the Bayfield winery up on the hill makes the best apple wine. Angies resturant is really good too. Lots of local art and the regular tourist traps.
Jason Moe
RleePSeptember 15th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Jason: Please check your PM's.

Lee
WestSeptember 18th, 2012, 12:11 am
Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Hi Lee, the Bayfield area offers a plethora of wild trout opportunities very close by. I grew up in Bayfield and it is the place that fostered my current obsession with fly fishing. I'm sure Jason has some great advice on specific locales, but if you'd like to PM me any further questions about the area and the nearby streams, I'd be happy to help.
West

http://pleasantly-obsessed.blogspot.com/
JhuntSeptember 1st, 2015, 11:16 pm
Posts: 1Hi to all. I too am going to be in Bayfield over Labor day with my wife while we attend a close family get together. They like to stay put and yak about things from long in the past that I know nothing about, so I thought that I would bring along my Tenkara rod and slip out, go to the store and perhaps get lost doing so. Mostly interested in streams, creeks, criks, brooks and small rivers. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'l be bringing mostly nymps, wets and a couple of buggers and streamers, buggers of course will be black, white and olive, but if their is a particular color I will try it. Once again thanks for any info and saving me from a weekend long yak sesion. Sincerely,Jay.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.