Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Driftless, Wisconsin?

ShantiJuly 12th, 2012, 8:50 am
Sweden

Me and some friends have already started talking about next years trips, just for fun.
And since I love small streams I've suggested the Driftless area.
I don't know anything about it other than what I've seen on youtube and it sure looks nice.

How crowded is this place? And when would be a good time to go there?
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..
RleePJuly 13th, 2012, 6:11 pm
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

>>How crowded is this place?>>

It varies.. By Eastern US standards, not very crowded at all. But from the perspective of somebody who has been fishing the area for many years, it would probably seem pretty crowded. This is my 12th year fishing the area and I'd say the pressure has about doubled in that time. The fact that there are a couple hundred streams to choose from helps spread things out a bit. The "name" creeks (about a dozen) are more busy, some to the point that I don't bother with them any more. But I'm on the far radical end of other angler phobic, so don't pay any attention to me. Objectively, the overall pressure could probably be best described as moderate. You can almost always find a place of your own with a modest bit of effort.

>And when would be a good time to go there?>

This is important...:) Don't come in High Summer, say from 6/15 to 8/30. You'll fry your brain. It can be hotter than all hell (low to mid 90's are not uncommon and with no shade, even 85 feels like 105) and the majority of the streams run through meadows or pastures with little shade, the weeds are high, the gnats are miserable and the fishing is often limited to early and late by water temps that are pretty elastic as a result of strong spring input but little shade. In summer, a lot of the streams will be 52F at day break, 72F at 4PM and then 62F at dusk. The fish react to this roller coaster by going into a fugue state of sorts for most of the day.

Come in mid-May to early June or after the 1st of September until the end of the month when the season closes. If you decide to give it a go, let me know here or by PM and I'll give you some stream ideas to avoid the worst of the pressure and still have real good fishing.

Lee
PaulRobertsJuly 13th, 2012, 8:18 pm
Colorado

Great description, Lee.
ShantiJuly 14th, 2012, 2:41 am
Sweden

Thank you, RleeP.
This was very helpful!
And it confirmed the impression I have of the area.

We are playing around with different options, if we decide for Wisconsin I'll let you know.
Thanks again!
RleePJuly 14th, 2012, 12:01 pm
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

Well, you're certainly more than welcome and as I said, if you do decide to come this way, I can help. Just give a yell.

Just as an afterthought, if you're a lover of small streams, you may also want to consider a trip to one of the trout regions along the Appalachian spine in the Eastern US. There is good small stream fishing for wild trout all along the mountains from Maine to Georgia and just about any destination in the region would put you in a position to have far more streams to choose from than time to fish them. The best of it (and this is just opinion) in terms of fishing quality and scenery is probably in Vermont, New Hampshire, western North Carolina and perhaps Northcentral Pennsylvania. The fish would average somewhat smaller than Driftless fish (but surprisingly, not that much smaller), but the scenery is a lot nicer and there is a lot more shade...:)
ShantiJuly 14th, 2012, 3:36 pm
Sweden

Well, you're certainly more than welcome and as I said, if you do decide to come this way, I can help. Just give a yell.

Just as an afterthought, if you're a lover of small streams, you may also want to consider a trip to one of the trout regions along the Appalachian spine in the Eastern US. There is good small stream fishing for wild trout all along the mountains from Maine to Georgia and just about any destination in the region would put you in a position to have far more streams to choose from than time to fish them. The best of it (and this is just opinion) in terms of fishing quality and scenery is probably in Vermont, New Hampshire, western North Carolina and perhaps Northcentral Pennsylvania. The fish would average somewhat smaller than Driftless fish (but surprisingly, not that much smaller), but the scenery is a lot nicer and there is a lot more shade...:)

Again, very helpful!

I will look into those suggestions, thanks!
EntomanJuly 14th, 2012, 3:41 pm
Northern CA & ID

In terms of "the best of it" I would only add the state of Maine. It takes a little homework to find them, but there are still lots of small streams there (and a gazillion ponds) full of brookies where you can go all day without seeing another angler. I like the Western Mountain region, but any of the more remote locations still have the largest native brook trout in the lower 48.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
ShantiJuly 14th, 2012, 5:07 pm
Sweden

In terms of "the best of it" I would only add the state of Maine. It takes a little homework to find them, but there are still lots of small streams there (and a gazillion ponds) full of brookies where you can go all day without seeing another angler. I like the Western Mountain region, but any of the more remote locations still have the largest native brook trout in the lower 48.

Thanks for the input, Entoman.

I remember reading something about Maine in a Drake issue.
Sounds great, and yes, "remote" is a word that appeals to me.

PaulRobertsJuly 15th, 2012, 3:39 pm
Colorado

Stop it. I'm beginning to develop some wanderlust -which is not in my general character.
ShantiJuly 15th, 2012, 3:51 pm
Sweden

Stop it. I'm beginning to develop some wanderlust -which is not in my general character.

You can have some of mine, I have too much.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.