Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Have we discussed these hooks here before?

OldredbarnMarch 2nd, 2012, 3:21 pm
Novi, MI

http://gatewayhooks.com/
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanMarch 2nd, 2012, 3:30 pm
Northern CA & ID

Spence -

The edge of the "eye" (if you can call it that) looks like a Viking battle ax that's been in more than a few skirmishes. I wouldn't want my tippets anywhere near the things.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsMarch 2nd, 2012, 3:34 pm
Colorado

A few years ago I listened to Jack Dennis' talk about the USA competitive FF team. After saying, "We have A LOT to learn" he showed a video of a French angling hotshot who changed flies in moments. Jack marveled at his knot tying speed. I responded that I thought the guy was using a loop-to-loop connection on a snelled fly.

This Loop-n-Lock hook would be equally fast. But...I'm not sure I like that knot he uses in video. I am very leery -no scared away from- anything with a single overhand knot in it. Why not a Uni (Duncan) loop? Also, I would be careful using it for really big fish. I can see that knot getting ripped off the side if it managed to get looped behind the head. But...it remains to be tried. Also, are there down-eyes too?

Ah, good point Kurt. Looks like a potential maintenance nightmare to me.
OldredbarnMarch 2nd, 2012, 5:25 pm
Novi, MI

Also, from what I have seen of a video on the site, they have to leave a longish tag-end to be able to remove it like they do...I'm already unhappy with the huge knot I have to live with on my Trico's...:( The damn thing adds extra to my tiny fly...:) Compared to the actual bug it looks over-sized.

I asked because a guest tyer we are having at our gathering next Monday is giving us a look at them. I'll keep an opened mind...;) Promise!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MartinlfMarch 2nd, 2012, 10:28 pm
Palmyra PA

I've been using Davy knots where the tippet and hook wire permit. It's as fast as the Gateway system, and very strong. The Davy knot can slip if the wire is too big for the tippet size, however. Spence, it's a tiny knot.

http://www.utahoutdoors.com/pages/Davyknot.htm
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsMarch 3rd, 2012, 8:20 am
Colorado

The biggest problem I see in the Gateway is maintenance. Tippet is expendable and should be! Expecting to get by on one or even two knots a day is a recipe for heartache.
EntomanMarch 3rd, 2012, 2:31 pm
Northern CA & ID

Paul -

Expecting to get by on one or even two knots a day is a recipe for heartache.

Exactly! Couldn't have said it any better. With copolymer, it's best to retie after 3 or so nice fish and every time after a biggun. I have to admit some amazing performance out of fluoro though, and the stuff makes me lazy. I once had a 20+ day of fish between 16 and 20" on the lower Sac without changing knots and regularly go 10+ with the reason for change being flies, not replacing the knots. Bad habit to carry over to mono and I've learned that the hard way.:)

BTW - your mention of the duncan loop is a much better solution than the knot they are promoting, and also takes care of Spence's concern about the big tag (which I don't like either). I don't use the duncan much any more, but when I did, it seemed I was always backing it off from the eye with my fingernails anyway.

As far as concerns about speed (which is the impetus for this hook design), if you use a set of knots often enough that you don't struggle with them, they're plenty fast. The little time "wasted" is sometimes a good thing to rest the water a little and reconsider your approach. What are we, pro bass fisherman? When I hear talk about "what the tournament guys are doing" my ears have learned to naturally close so as to avoid getting sick to my stomach.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularMarch 5th, 2012, 10:24 am
Boiling Springs, PA

When I hear talk about "what the tournament guys are doing" my ears have learned to naturally close so as to avoid getting sick to my stomach.

Having played competitive sports pretty much since I was 5 years old, I sometimes find myself getting caught up in the thought of those fishing competetions, and then I come back to reality and remind myself why I have been fishing longer than playing those sports...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.