Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > I forgot how to tie on a sack of egg row (salmon) to a hook, can anyone help?

DddhartJuly 20th, 2007, 12:04 pm
redding

I forgot how to tie on a sack of egg row (salmon) to a hook, can anyone help?
I fish the Sacramento River below Below Anderson, sometimes the Barge Hole, the season is starting up and I can not remember how to tie that knot. Just the name of the knot would help.
Thank you.
TrevorCJuly 20th, 2007, 1:06 pm
Interlochen, Michigan

Not sure of the name, but i guess it depends if you are tying spawn still in the scane or if they are loose eggs.

If they are still in the scane I take the fishing line and thread the line through the eye of the hook, but backwards. I tie the line to the bend of the hook using a fisherman's knot, polymer knot, or improved clinch knot -the same way you would tie a knot at the eye of the hook.

Now, when you pull your line tight above the hook, the line helps hold the eggs in place.

I use this method all the time for fishing salmon, steelhead, white fish, splake, etc. in Grand Traverse West Bay, MI - fishing off from the piers.

Hope this helped.
I'll see you down on the river...
SayfuOctober 8th, 2011, 9:25 am
He wants to know the SNELL KNOT. Can be a permanent, non movable snell loop knot, or one that can slip back, be pushed back to create the size of the loop.I preferred the permanent one. Matter of fact, I had a patented hook/lure that incorporated yarn into the Snell Knot making it a fly, and also incorporating into the Snell the small dental band that extended down below the hook that you could stretch, and place the egg sac in it. The mono loop can cut the eggs when you tighten up on the leader during the dift. These were sold in dual pacs to local tackle shops, and to the large, Payless chain of stores. Need to know how to tie the knot, I will describe it. I tied, along with employees, over 200,000 of those knots!!!!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.