Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > traditional streamers- still in use?

RogueratAugust 23rd, 2020, 5:10 am
I'm doing a diversionary rabbit-trail thing this summer and tying, fishing 'traditional' flies such as the Mickey Finn and Little Trout series. Are any 'Nuts tying and fishing hairwing streamers and other retro or vintage flies? I haven't fished streamers enough to have developed the casting stroke and strip/retrieve thing so I can't say I'm good at it, either- but working to be better. Slow summer days now, and I'm on-stream early (first light) to avoid the kayak and canoe mess that descends by 900 am or so...and weekends are out of the question, its a zoo.

tight lines,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
WbranchAugust 23rd, 2020, 8:40 am
York & Starlight PA

About three years ago I tied a bunch of traditional hair and feather wing streamers for want of something else to tie in the winter. I was very pleased with the results except for my use of plastic photo jungle cock eyes. I may cut out the plastic eyes and paste on real jungle cock "nails" since I tied them for display and not to fish. Posting up some pictures in the Photography forum.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PartsmanAugust 24th, 2020, 9:20 am
bancroft michigan

Roguerat, I like a mickey finn for fall brookies, but I do need to try some other patterns. I feel your pain with canoe/kayakers, even on weekdays it can be a challange. Im kinda looking forward to some fall fishing, but hate to see winter come along!
Mike.
RogueratAugust 24th, 2020, 9:58 am
Mike-
I got off the Muskegon by 10 this morning, a couple smallish Browns early on then the rest was casting practice. I don't know if it was intentional but a a couple gents in a small Vee-bottom motored upstream and lingered pretty much in my casting zone...too long. I nodded politely, they nodded back and continued to fling their live bait rigs until I gave up and waded downstream to regain my composure and continue fishing. It happens, I shouldn't get ticked, my wife reminded me that I was there to have fun, etc. etc.
And it is fun, last week I was just getting into the water (Muskegon again) when I heard a rhythmic thumping off to my right. I looked over and saw 2 very large Bald Eagles perched on a boulder at the water's edge maybe 20' away at most, flapping their wings for whatever reason eagles have. They took off slowly and MAJESTICALLY up the river, the kind of thing that leaves me saying inadequate descriptors like 'wow,' 'holy @#$%' and so on.

Matt, thanks for the streamer pics of some nicely tied flies to use in sharpening my tying chops- sets the bar for some of us!

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Brian314September 7th, 2020, 1:39 pm
Fenton, MI.

The first trout I caught on a streamer was when I was using a Black Ghost - for the first time on the SB - back in the 80s. Caught some smaller browns 2-3 years ago in the fall using the BG. I just tied up some #6 and #8's this week - going up to Grayling this Friday for a 5 day trip. Will post if I catch any on them.
BTW - somebody mentioned the old Mickey Finn - I've caught fish on those as well. Brian
Brian314September 26th, 2020, 12:46 pm
Fenton, MI.

Well I did catch a few small brookies on the size 10 ghosts on that trip (didn't bother w pix) and had one flash from a larger fish ( I'm guessing a brown) but that was it. Was more succesful w baetis nymphs.
Still - had fun. I was in the SB at Dogtown, Downeys and Lower Baldwins.
Going back up for 3 days next week.
WiflyfisherSeptember 27th, 2020, 8:57 am
Wisconsin

I use them for the Lake Superior tribs in the Spring and Fall.

I will be trying for the first time this Fall a Skagit Commando head with various sink tips.

John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
WbranchSeptember 27th, 2020, 2:15 pm
York & Starlight PA

Wiflyfisher,

Great looking streamers. I fish a few of the Lake Erie tribs for steelhead and have had excellent success swinging #10 emerald shiners which is a main forage fish for steelhead and smallmouth in the lake.
Jmd123September 28th, 2020, 10:43 am
Oscoda, MI

Nice flies John!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WiflyfisherSeptember 28th, 2020, 12:45 pm
Wisconsin

Thanks Matt & Jonathon.

Hopefully, they work really well for me with my new Skagit Commado setup. :-)
John S.
WbranchOctober 1st, 2020, 11:42 am
York & Starlight PA

Many of them should be put in a shadow box and displayed.
MartinlfOctober 1st, 2020, 7:47 pm
Palmyra PA

John, let me know how the Commando head works out. I am going to try it with my Drift rod in the spring.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WiflyfisherOctober 6th, 2020, 2:55 am
Wisconsin

John, let me know how the Commando head works out. I am going to try it with my Drift rod in the spring.

So far i am not that impressed. It takes a lot of practice getting used to it. If you don't cast it just right the line slaps the water.

I am using the 200 gr commando head with sink tip on my Hardy 10' 4wt graphite fly rod. I also tried it on my Hardy 9'6" Zephrus fly rod but it doesn't load the rod very well. It would probably need a 450 gr commando head.

The loop to loop connections get caught in the rod guides. Especially, the lazar running line connection to the commando head. I have the connections exactly how they tell you to connect the loops.

I am left handed so wading and casting upstream is more difficult. Before casting I have to get the commando head and fly swung around to my left side or try to make a backcast. Wading back downstream was much easier casting. Every time I make a poor cast I feel like I just put down every trout in the pool when the line slaps the water. It definitely takes a lot of practice.

I will keep working on it and see if it gets better.

John S.
WbranchOctober 6th, 2020, 5:47 am
York & Starlight PA

The loop to loop connections get caught in the rod guides.

Anytime I have ever used a loop to loop connection for a fly line head I have always left the connection out past the tip top. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that is the intention. Leave the head out and once you have the heavier head in the air you shoot the running line.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.