Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > traditional streamers- still in use?

RogueratAugust 23rd, 2020, 5:10 am
I'm doing a diversionary rabbit-trail thing this summer and tying, fishing 'traditional' flies such as the Mickey Finn and Little Trout series. Are any 'Nuts tying and fishing hairwing streamers and other retro or vintage flies? I haven't fished streamers enough to have developed the casting stroke and strip/retrieve thing so I can't say I'm good at it, either- but working to be better. Slow summer days now, and I'm on-stream early (first light) to avoid the kayak and canoe mess that descends by 900 am or so...and weekends are out of the question, its a zoo.

tight lines,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
WbranchAugust 23rd, 2020, 8:40 am
York & Starlight PA

About three years ago I tied a bunch of traditional hair and feather wing streamers for want of something else to tie in the winter. I was very pleased with the results except for my use of plastic photo jungle cock eyes. I may cut out the plastic eyes and paste on real jungle cock "nails" since I tied them for display and not to fish. Posting up some pictures in the Photography forum.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PartsmanAugust 24th, 2020, 9:20 am
bancroft michigan

Roguerat, I like a mickey finn for fall brookies, but I do need to try some other patterns. I feel your pain with canoe/kayakers, even on weekdays it can be a challange. Im kinda looking forward to some fall fishing, but hate to see winter come along!
Mike.
RogueratAugust 24th, 2020, 9:58 am
Mike-
I got off the Muskegon by 10 this morning, a couple smallish Browns early on then the rest was casting practice. I don't know if it was intentional but a a couple gents in a small Vee-bottom motored upstream and lingered pretty much in my casting zone...too long. I nodded politely, they nodded back and continued to fling their live bait rigs until I gave up and waded downstream to regain my composure and continue fishing. It happens, I shouldn't get ticked, my wife reminded me that I was there to have fun, etc. etc.
And it is fun, last week I was just getting into the water (Muskegon again) when I heard a rhythmic thumping off to my right. I looked over and saw 2 very large Bald Eagles perched on a boulder at the water's edge maybe 20' away at most, flapping their wings for whatever reason eagles have. They took off slowly and MAJESTICALLY up the river, the kind of thing that leaves me saying inadequate descriptors like 'wow,' 'holy @#$%' and so on.

Matt, thanks for the streamer pics of some nicely tied flies to use in sharpening my tying chops- sets the bar for some of us!

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Brian314September 7th, 2020, 1:39 pm
Fenton, MI.

The first trout I caught on a streamer was when I was using a Black Ghost - for the first time on the SB - back in the 80s. Caught some smaller browns 2-3 years ago in the fall using the BG. I just tied up some #6 and #8's this week - going up to Grayling this Friday for a 5 day trip. Will post if I catch any on them.
BTW - somebody mentioned the old Mickey Finn - I've caught fish on those as well. Brian

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.