Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Leader recipes

KeystonerApril 10th, 2010, 3:35 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Recently, I was reading Lefty Kreh's "Presenting the Fly" and I realised my leader was all wrong. I've since tied a new one using his "nyphing leader" formula. Just wondering what leader recipes you all have and what they're best for...
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Aaron7_8April 11th, 2010, 5:52 pm
Helena Montana

Approx. 6' of twelve pound flouro uni-notted to approx. 3' of four pound flouro. It mnay not be scientific but it turns over and is very strong.
AltoidmattApril 27th, 2010, 8:29 am
Altoona, PA

5 feet 15 pound
3 feet 6 pound
3-4 feet 5x or 6x depending.
I try to keep this last section as long as will cast nicely, I usually fish the 5x and I mostly fish sub surface.
When tying the fly to 5x or 6x line you might need to find a special knot or develop your own. I use a knot from the book midge magic But I add an extra step to prevent it from slipping.

I've read a lot of conflicting leader info everyone seems have thier own recipe
I'm curious what does Lefty Kreh suggest as a nymphing leader?
KeystonerApril 27th, 2010, 5:03 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

For a nymphing leader Dr.Kreh prescribes

4FT 20lb
2FT 12lb
1.5-3FT 6lb

I have been using this leader for about a month now, and it seems to be working pretty well.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
OldredbarnMay 3rd, 2010, 9:25 am
Novi, MI

The Lazy Man's leader formula...I have seen all the different ideas in all the old and new books and I just do the following...Needle Knot a 2 foot section of Maxima permanent butt to end of fly line...It's close to the same diameter as the leader butt-end I attach. I buy a 9ft trout leader from the shop tapered down to 4x. I then add tippett material to the end of this...Remember that, give or take, there is about 2ft of 4x at the end of this...If you are going right in to 5x you should cut this back a bit to step-down your leader properly.

Needle Knot...Some folks Nail Knot the permanent butt to the end of the fly line...I use a bodkin and insert it in the end of the fly line a couple eighths of an inch back and use a nail knot tool or a wooden toothpick to place the knot over the tiny hole I have created in the fly line. I cut the end of the leader at a sharp angle with a razor blade and stick it in the end of the fly line and out the hole I made with the bodkin in the flyline.

You could just do this without the permanent butt section. Just insert the end of your new leader at the beginning of the season. When your leader gets a little rough cut it off two feet from where it's attached to the fly line and you have a built in permanent butt and attach the new leader to this.

Am I going to be sent to the fly fishingdoms version of hell for this affront? Sorry George Harvey! Really!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.