Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Winter Stones and the like

This topic is about the Stonefly Family Capniidae

These are the first stoneflies of the year to appear in most parts of the country, and often the first aquatic insects noticed by the angler. Their dark brown or black bodies are easy to spot against the snowbanks where they crawl around.

Capnia in the West and Allocapnia in the East are probably the most common genera of this prolific family. Read more...

There are 8 more specimens...

The Discussion

DarkDunNovember 20th, 2006, 8:38 pm
Posts: 16I like your site and all it offers. Would like you to come on down to the Southeast and identify our species of mayflies, caddis and plecoptera. Ours are a bit different in makeup than elsewhere and really need cataloging. We constantly are trying to compare our species to the northern hatches and it does not fit into their pattern. We are a month ahead of everywhere else and twice as long in many cases. Some hatches seem to be identifiable and then some defy easy categorization.

DarkDun

GONZONovember 20th, 2006, 9:48 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Dark Dun,

Welcome. I'm sure you can find someone here that can help you sort out the Southern variations. While we Mid-Atlantic guys like to monopolize things, Jason has attracted extremely helpful and knowledgeable folks from all over. Litobrancha operates out of UT Knoxville--I'd bet anything that he's got a pretty good handle on most of what hatches in your neck of the woods. If you're interested in trout and the bugs they eat, you're among friends!
KonchuNovember 23rd, 2006, 9:08 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

I've got a little experience with SE mayflies. Try me.
GreenwollyMay 21st, 2008, 6:11 pm
Southern W.Va baby

yeah i live in the southeast and iam tryin to learn about our hatches i just cant get em straight i rekon that is because i dont comprehened what i read i learn better by hands on but i would love for someone to come to southern west virginia or anywhere where we have the same hatches so maybe i can learn a lil more about our specific kinds of hatches
"Eventually all things merge into one and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are t

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.