Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Montana

MotroutSeptember 1st, 2010, 4:48 pm
I know I am planning ahead pretty far, but I am going to try to make it up to Montana next summer (after spring/early summer run-off) and would like to get some advice on a couple things- I've fished Montana a bit in the past, mostly just the Bitterroot, Clark Fork, Blackfoot, and the mountain stream tributaries of those streams... Does anyone have other reccomendations? I'm not really interested in the spring-creeks or tailwaters. I really enjoy the kind of freestone streams where you can fish nice, big dry flies to free-rising trout. I was thinking of the Gallatin- is that a good one to try? I was also thinking of the Kootenai/ Yaak region in the northwest part of the state. Does anyone on here have any advice for these streams, or any other advice about good water in Montana?

Thanks for any help
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
BobbygSeptember 2nd, 2010, 8:32 am
North Carolina

I highly recommend Rock Creek southeast of Missoula.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

- Henry David Thoreau
MotroutSeptember 2nd, 2010, 6:33 pm
That sounds like a good idea.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
LastchanceSeptember 3rd, 2010, 8:06 am
Portage, PA

Ain't tellin' you nothin' unless you take me with you.
Bruce
GONZOSeptember 4th, 2010, 11:05 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Mo T,

Because the Gallatin was one place you were considering, I thought I'd mention that it has a number of fine little tributaries that you might like. Depending on the trib, you'll find a variable mix of browns, rainbows, cutts, cuttbows, and brookies. Although easy access often brings a lot of pressure to many parts of the main Gallatin, the tribs are usually another story, and even some of the tribs that are relatively easy to access don't see nearly as much pressure. Just a thought.
MotroutSeptember 4th, 2010, 7:02 pm
Thanks- the Gallatin and Gallatin valley has always been calling to me since I drove through there a few years back-I was on my way to Hebgen Lake after fishing a tributary of the Bitterroot for a few days, and drove alongside it for a long way, but never got out to fish. It looks pretty great, and I bet some of the tribs would be fun to check out too...Thanks for the advice.

A lot of the time a main river to me is just a place to start looking-usually the most interesting fishing is to be found in the little blue lines that feed into it.
JesseSeptember 5th, 2010, 6:38 am
Hey there Mo im actually going to school in Montana right now, and fish the three streams you mentions religiously. The gallatin is a great river to head to and would be well worth it. Rock creek is a great stream, and beautiful one at that, but honestly it's not the place you want to head to if your looking for big fish gulping down dries. If i was you i would look at rivers such as the beaverhead in southwest montana. Now its a tailwater, but fished like a large spring creek river. There are massive wild browns in there as well and its great fishing all year round. Also there are some smaller tribs running into the river that are killer and don't get fished to often. Definitely should be on the top of your list. If not there i would try the maddison or yellowstone. Both beautiful and large fish rivers. I don't know if theres anything better than drifting down the maddison my man. Try doing some research on these rivers and see what you think, but there worth coming here for especially if its some larger trout your after.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.