Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fun day on Rock Creek

Fun day on Rock Creek

By Troutnut on July 9th, 2019
July 9th was the fishiest day of the wife-oriented portion of this Montana trip. After a late-morning start, we drove the scenic highway from Philipsburg to Rock Creek and then down the valley to a spot that fished really well last year. My backpack included a Jetboil, can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup, a Mountain House meal, tea, apples, a large book about genetics, and several other unconventional amenities designed to keep everybody happy on the river for 8+ hours. It worked, I think.

The fishing was good for most places and alright for here. Nymphs were surprisingly ineffective and most fish rose to dries instead. I caught quite a few decent cutthroat and brown trout, along with one brookie, although nothing exceeded 15 inches. Rainbows remained in hiding. Lena caught a nice cutthroat, too.

Photos by Troutnut from Rock Creek in Montana

Closeup insects by Troutnut from Rock Creek in Montana

Male Glossosoma alascense Saddle-case Maker AdultMale Glossosoma alascense  Saddle-case Maker Adult View 8 PicturesI lost track of this specimen before I could get it under my microscope, but caddis expert Dave Ruiter was able to identify it from pictures as Glossosoma, with an uncertain suggestion of G. alascense as the most likely species.
Collected July 9, 2019 from Rock Creek in Montana
Added to Troutnut.com by Troutnut on July 18, 2019

Comments / replies

IasgairJuly 25th, 2019, 8:01 am
Colorado

Wonderful photo's Jason. The waters look very good, unlike here where the creeks are still flowing fast and hard due to our late snow pack.
TroutnutJuly 25th, 2019, 9:31 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Montana had that late snow pack, too. Some rivers were more out-of-shape from it than others. Rock Creek was high, but it's pretty resilient and stays in fishable condition with some extra water.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.
Most Recent Posts
Re: large free living caddis rhyacophila?
In the Identify This! Board by Kjfeen (Taxon replied)