Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > acentrella nymph, Page 2

This topic is about the Mayfly Genus Acentrella

The only Acentrella species commonly reported to be important to anglers is Acentrella turbida, though Acentrella insignificans is important in some western locales. See the species pages for distribution and timing details. This genus is one of two (including Heterocloeon) that can easily be distinguished from other Baetidae genera by the presence of a conical mesonotal projection (Conical mesonotal projection: small cone shaped spike sticking up from the top and front part of the middle thorax segment.). A. turbida lacks hindwings which is useful for distinguishing this species from all others in either genera. A. turbida was previously known by the names of its synonyms (Synonym: A former name of a taxon, usually a species. Entomologists frequently discover that two insects originally described as different species are one in the same, and they drop one of the names. The dropped name is said to be a synonym of the remaining name. These changes take a while to trickle into the common knowledge of anglers; for example, Baetis vagans is now a synonym of Baetis tricaudatus.) Pseudocloeon turbidum in the West and Pseudocloeon carolina in the East. Read more...

There are 4 more specimens...

The Discussion

OldredbarnSeptember 3rd, 2011, 6:36 pm
Novi, MI

He just might throw open his window one fine morning and exhort his neighbor's son to run down and buy that Tenkara rig hanging in the fly shop window for him.:)

Don't hold your breath on this one boys...I'm not looking for another girlfriend.

I'm working on paring down the vest...Just give me another moment or two...One day I'll free myself from my mere wage-slave existance and will get it as together as I'm capable...;)

I am in the office as I write this on a holiday weekend because I needed to change virus protection for our office computers...Everything was going along well. I had everything working on computer number one, the big bosses Lisa's, and then couldn't get the other two to read the damn disc. I sent off tech emails etc and tried just about everything I could imagine, and discovered a serious smudge on the back of the disk??? I got out some alcohol and a Q-Tip and tried to remove it and it worked! Go figure. Then I had one last bit on one computer from the old virus protection I couldn't delete...Somehow I finally pulled that off as well! Yippie! Its Molson time!

When I first started working with my wife in Jan 1993 her only comment to me, besides don't ever insure this one broken down old shack we would pass on the way in every morning as we drove to work, was, "Fake it to you make it!" By Crom! She was right. She just better not ever let me go, or let me fall down in a stream somewhere...;) "Don't worry dear, the life policies are all paid up...I fall in you can move to AZ and be with your twin and both of you will be able to afford a couple 25 year old pool boys each!"

Damn! I better lay off this tea.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
AndyVSeptember 14th, 2022, 9:13 am
Twin Cities

FYI, a great resource for nymph photos and general larvae info (apart from this fine website) is "Mayfly Larvae of Wisconsin" by Tom H. Klubertanz. The only caveat to that piece is that some of the species-specific data that was not verified was not incorporated so take county-level info with a grain of salt (e.g. Tricos definitely hatch in St. Croix County on multiple streams, but that is not documented in his work {note a Benthic Macro survey of one stream in the county indicates T artratus}. I use it as a general guide. Also, the color of the larvae are not accurate to what you would see on a stream. So use his pics as a guide for shape but not for color.

~Andy
WiflyfisherSeptember 15th, 2022, 4:27 am
Wisconsin

Andy,

Yes, "Mayfly Larvae of Wisconsin" is an excellent resource for us Wisconsin aquatic insect nerds.

https://learningstore.extension.wisc.edu/products/mayfly-larvae-of-wisconsin-p1813.

John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.