Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Steelhead Leader Formulas

GooseOctober 4th, 2011, 9:21 am
Posts: 77Anyone care to share a steelhead leader recipe for Erie steel?
Thanks,
Bruce
SayfuOctober 4th, 2011, 11:01 am
Good article in this month's Flyfisherman mag. on going dry and swinging/waking flies when the water is clear on Steelhead Alley...the guy gets down to 5X !!!!Depends on how you are presenting the fly...strike indicator fishing, or swimming/waking approach.
GooseOctober 4th, 2011, 1:23 pm
Posts: 77Yep. I'll just be throwing nymphs. I've never seen anybody fish dry flies up in Erie. I'm not saying it has never happened, but I just never heard of anyone doing it. I usually just use my regular nymph tapered leaders. I thought maybe somebody had a neat (easy) leader formula.
SayfuOctober 5th, 2011, 9:34 pm
The picture in the article shows low water, and but a slot of green water with some depth. This guy is a guide, and says it extends his days he can take clients and have a chance to hookup. Says the split shot plopping on the water will spook them in low, clear conditions. I'm of little help on indicator fishing. I was a West Coast steelhead guide, but always swung the fly wet fly style. There is an increasing number of strike indicator fisherman now since I moved to Idaho, and a lot of them during the cold water Spring steehead fishing over here, but I don't partake in it anymore.
Jmd123October 7th, 2011, 1:28 pm
Oscoda, MI

Has anybody out there ever tried swinging/skating dries on Michigan streams for steelhead? I have thought about using popper-type bugs or other large hairy dries for this, and wondered if anyone has ever tried it. If no one has, perhaps I'll be the first...a local fishing friend of mine has suggested trying things the fish have never seen, the idea being that they become jaded to the same old stuff (nymphs, eggs, streamers, etc.) and that something new just might be the ticket. Any thoughts, fellas??

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
SayfuOctober 7th, 2011, 1:56 pm
Here is what I have experienced out West, and a lot of experience. There is a big difference between hatchery fish, and big native Spring spawner fish when it comes to taking a waking fly. The natives will attack a big waking fly where the hatchery fish will seldom be aggressive towards them...maybe a refusal at best. I often fished trout size subtle colored softhackles for Fall hatchery fish where big bomber types were used for Native steelhead. And if I got a refusal on a say size #8 Mustad 3906 nymph hook, I would drop down to a #10 when fishing for hatchery steelhead. Those Lonnie Waller videos where he used big surface disturbing dries were for Skeena River system big native steelhead. Same out here in Idaho. ON the Salmon River, that gets huge hatchery runs of steelhead in recent years, they damp fish smaller patterns.
PaulRobertsOctober 10th, 2011, 12:03 pm
Colorado

I use the same general formula's (Harvey-esque) but with the colder water and usually deeper holds I go longer than for trout. Instead of 7 to 9ft, I run 10 to say 14. Fine tippets help in cold water, but you have to balance that with fish size, and hazards. Too light and the lack of control sucks.

You may want to run a dropper for your weight bc of rocks, which will save you re-tying time. Slinky weights are good in large water, but jaded fish can be weight shy. Don't use a knot tag end for a dropper -too much potential for leader damage. Use a high quality (small and strong) swivel for your dropper as it is AMAZING how much torque a hot steelhead will apply to your rig -even with a light tippet. They can open split rings, pop swivels, and straighten hooks.

Maintenance is critical. Be paranoid about your terminal rig, and be willing to re-tie. If you hit it right and have a hot day you will see. They can tear things up and expose any weakness.

Good luck. Steelhead was the one fish that I could have left my family and friends for lol. Hit em on an Indian summer day when the water is above 50 and you will quit your job. That is the time when you'd have the best chance with surface flies. I never tried it though. I did get them to "rise" up in the water column, and quite a ways, to big streamers and also to bright aggressive conventional plugs. It'll probably come down to conditions, and individual fish.
WbranchOctober 12th, 2011, 7:32 pm
York & Starlight PA

I fish the Erie tribs a couple of times every season and never use a special "steelhead" taper. I use any decent heavy butt (.021" - .024") 7 1/2' 2X leader, then add on a piece of 3X Seaguar flouro about 24" long. Actually I like to tie on a micro barrel swivel at the end of the 2X and clinch knot the 3X to the other end of the swivel. It's alot easier to tie on tippet this way instead of trying to tie a blood knot in cold weather. If the water is colored and up I'll use 2X Seaguar and catch plenty of fish. 3X Seaguar is 9.2# test and only .008" diameter.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
SayfuOctober 13th, 2011, 9:16 am
Posts: 560Wbranch...I'd buy that set up. I'm using the tippet rings at the end of my leader for the same reason. Good place to attach a small split shot if you need to as well...above the swivel. I'll be off today fishing that setup, and dry fly fishing with a #14 lt. cahill attached before I go. I am optimistic they will be on the water this afternoon the same as they were on Sunday.
WbranchOctober 13th, 2011, 5:38 pm
York & Starlight PA

If u really want to get cute u leave the tag end on the tippet section you tie to the other end of the swivel, then add your split shot to the tag and and often if u get snagged the split shot pull off and u don't lose your rig.
CaseyPOctober 14th, 2011, 3:55 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

thanks for all the good info in this thread. BFB #1 and #2 and i are off on 11/5-6 to give it a try, conditions permitting. please post a report before then, WBranch!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
WbranchOctober 15th, 2011, 12:26 am
York & Starlight PA

Casey,

I'm leaving for the Erie creeks, PA & NY, on Sunday night about 10:00 pm. Should arrive about 4:30 am, jump under the covers for two hours to get some rest then probably fish Elk a few hours, or will stay if it is good. If not will fish some of the east side creeks and ultimately get over into Westfield, NY where the motel I'm staying at is located. Am staying at least through Wednesday, if it's good I'll stay until Saturday morning.

Remember you want to try and time your trip on either falling high water or when there has been enough rain that the surrounding topography is well saturated so these spate creeks will hold the water for more than two days. Once the creeks get very low and clear the fishing is very tough. If u can see them they probably can see u too. Also if it is low and there are many fish you often wind up foul hooking more than are fair hooked. Go to 4X and micro egg patterns and #16 - #20 nymphs and either no indicator or only a very small white Thingamabobber.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.