Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Steelhead partner

WbranchSeptember 17th, 2015, 12:54 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hi all steelheaders,

It is almost time to be feeling the explosive charge of jumping and surging chrome bullets on the Erie tributaries. I have been steelhead fishing the Erie creeks for about seven years. I'm not an expert but by no means a novice either as the pictures of chrome I post can attest.

I'm looking for a fishing partner who is preferably retired who can leave for the Erie creeks almost at the drop of a hat. One of the keys to getting very good fishing as opposed to just so-so fishing is timing. One wants to arrive on falling high water after a major rain event. High water brings in fresh fish and green water is great catching water.

Basically I'm looking for someone to share motel and gas expenses with me as well as sharing the driving. While I always would like to make a trip in September that rarely happens because it is usually too warm and runs of fish are predicated on heavy rains to bring up the water levels of these quite shallow, quickly run-off, streams. I only fish Elk Creek, Twenty Mile creek, and sometimes the Conneaut Creek in Ohio.

Over the past few years I've been making trips around Columbus Day, Election Day, and the 2nd week in November. It is just when the rains came over the past two years. You might of heard that the fishing is crowded. Well anywhere a fly fisher can catch a couple 4# - 7# rainbow trout it is going to be crowded at times. Being able to go up during the week really cuts down on the number of people fishing. Also the creeks are less crowded than the much bigger Salmon River in Pulaski and the people I have met are always very friendly and I have never seen any problems.

If anyone would like to partner with me whether you are a seasoned veteran or just someone who wants to learn about the Erie steelheading please PM any time. The Erie creeks are quite small and the water types don't lend themselves very well to swinging a fly. I'd say 95% of the guys I see, me included, use nymphs and egg flies, #12 - #16, under an indicator. There are some places where you can swing flies and these steelhead will eat a larger dry fly!!

Due to plans my wife and I have made two years ago I will not be in country October 10 - October 22. After that Fish On!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.