Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Need hatch info for southern Indiana - is this even available?

Jmd123June 10th, 2021, 6:06 am
Oscoda, MI

So...down we went to Indiana a few weeks ago to collect more bugs from our study stream. Last fall we collected over 13,000 benthic macroinvertebrates, subsampling over 7500 of them for ID. Our minds were blown at the staggering numbers and diversity! 81 genera, with midges not taken below family so there's plenty more than that. What a wonderful little habitat!

Well...this time we are finding next to no insects in our samples! Dozens versus hundreds, only two dozen genera so far...I think we missed them! I suspect the "missing benthics" transformed into adults, laid eggs, and will not be visible or even catchable for months as 1st & 2nd instar nymphs/larvae might slip right through our 500-micron mesh net! As my boss said, darned good thing we sampled last fall or we would think this stream is pretty depauperate! We actually caught more fish this time too...fish predation? A couple of sites yielded dozens of tiny bluegills, makes me wonder if there's a time in their life when they are chowing down on these invertebrates, reducing their numbers? Of course, it would be nice to go back again in the fall and see what it looks like, but I think we'll be out of $$$ by then...

Anyhow, any information on aquatic insect emergence in southern Indiana - let's say, the Ohio River, we're not far from there - would be of help for my explanation of the radical difference in bug numbers and diversity.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TaxonJune 10th, 2021, 12:29 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Jonathon-

My recommendation would be Hatch Guide For Upper Midwest Streams by Ann R. Miller. It is efficiently organized, incredibly comprehensive, and has stunning photographs of both immature and winged life stages of mayflies, caddisflies, stoneflies, other aquatic insects, and crustaceans.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Jmd123June 11th, 2021, 5:29 am
Oscoda, MI

Thanks, Roger, I will look that up. If I see a lot of species emerging early, especially if I recognize the genera, it will partially explain the dramatic decrease in numbers and diversity we are seeing in our (late May) sampling.

BTW, how are things on your end? Hot down there in Tejas? Say hi to that state for me, many fond memories!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TaxonJune 11th, 2021, 11:00 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

BTW, how are things on your end? Hot down there in Tejas? Say hi to that state for me, many fond memories!

No complaints, as the state of Tejas has been good both to and for me; thanks for asking. And BTW, I said hi to the state for you, and believe I actually got a reply, which sounded strangely like a clap of thunder :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Jmd123June 11th, 2021, 11:23 am
Oscoda, MI

Send some of that thunder up here! Our trout streams are getting mighty low, and probably warm...gonna go pond fishing for a while until we get some fresh rain. The Rifle River was both low and cloudy on Tuesday...?

Jonathon
TaxonJune 11th, 2021, 10:11 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Jonathon-

Be careful what you wish for; flash floods can be life-threatening.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
Jmd123June 14th, 2021, 6:06 am
Oscoda, MI

"When it rains in Texas, it never stops. Then when it stops, it never rains."

So I once heard from a Texan! Fortunately we got a little rain last night so maybe the forest fires will hold off, so long as the terrorists...er, I mean TOURISTS, don't set everything on fire with their explosives and their weenie roasts and smores...

I'll send you a PM later on my history in Texas. Love that state!

Jonathon

TaxonJune 14th, 2021, 6:15 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

I'll send you a PM later on my history in Texas. Love that state!

Jonathon

Great; looking forward to its receipt.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.