Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > steelhead rods

AshtonrOctober 11th, 2015, 1:15 pm
ontario

Hey guys new to the forum here! so upon my greys 7wt tip snapping im back the using my 6wt tfo for steelhead. im not in a position to buy the replacement tip for the 7wt. Just curious what your guys steelhead set up is like for small tributaries. Im in the process of adding a fighting butt much like a two handed rod to my 6wt. basically turning it into a 2 hand rod.
to fish or not to fish. always fish.
PartsmanOctober 11th, 2015, 7:09 pm
bancroft michigan

Ashtonr, I got back into steelheading last year, and went with the Echo fiberglass ll ft. switch rod. I have two of the echo reels, one with 320 grain spey line, the other with rio switch line for indie fishing. I would love to catch a steelhead swinging a streamer, but realistically indicators and nymphs, or egg patterns are more productive on the rivers I fish.
AshtonrOctober 11th, 2015, 8:58 pm
ontario

Man the only time i ever get steelies on the swing is around spawn time in the spring. other than that the only way is nymphing for these great lake run steelhead. i tested out my modification of adding an extended but on my 6wt and it performs pretty good as a 9 ft switch rod. it has a wf line on it which isnt the best for switch style casting but on small rivers im quite pleased with it!
to fish or not to fish. always fish.
PaulRobertsOctober 15th, 2015, 9:35 am
Colorado

I've used rods of all lengths and weights for steelhead/trout on GL tribs, bc tribs vary so much in size and flow. I have a few 6wts I used for small GL's and for FL's (Finger Lakes) tribs and I too added a fighting butt to them.
WbranchOctober 20th, 2015, 3:16 am
York & Starlight PA

Adding a fighting butt to a single hand rod is not really going to make it a two hand rod. It is only going to provide you with some added leverage to turn and land bigger fish. Of course though if your #6 weight rod is 10' or longer well then the butt will help it become a two handed switch rod. I fish small Erie creeks with #6 and #7 weight rods and bigger rivers with a #8. I fish mostly 9' rods with 3" butts on the smaller Erie creeks and a real 10' 6" switch rod for bigger water where I want to swing flies or high stick nymph is riffs with multiple currents.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.