Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Baetis softhackle

Shawnny3 has attached this picture. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
Shawnny3July 1st, 2012, 12:14 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Size 22. This fly was made at Louis's suggestion to catch those fish feeding on small baetids in the film. Rather than mimicking the colors of the nymphs, I thought that I would try to mimic the color of the underside of the dun on the theory that fish often feed in shallow riffles on drowned duns (the underside of the nymphs are about this same color as well, which I'm sure doesn't hurt as a fish looks up at it). The abdomen is first tied and shaped using gray thread, then is overwound with a thin layer of light olive thread. When wet, it perfectly matches the deep greyish olive of the naturals. (Thread bodies are also clean and durable, which is why I use them for a lot of small nymphs and dries. Some really deep colors and really cool ribbing effects can be achieved by combining different thread colors.) The thorax is light olive dubbing, and the hackle is a single barb of marabou, tied in at the fluffy butt and wrapped around the shank 3 times. I was worried that such a delicate feather would not stand up to fish, so I intentionally wrapped the marabou into the head section of the fly, then put a few turns of thread over the marabou to slick it back and give it more durability. The fly was fished on its maiden voyage for a few hours and caught a half dozen fish with no signs of wear. The fish could see it even after dark, something that never ceases to amaze me.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Flatstick96July 1st, 2012, 12:46 pm
Can't wait to fish this, and the other variations you've been playing around with recently. :)
Shawnny3July 1st, 2012, 1:17 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Bring your tying stuff and I'll show you how they're done. I have a sinking feeling, though, and I'm not sure why, that you'll outfish me with your old standbys anyway...

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
LastchanceJuly 1st, 2012, 2:22 pm
Portage, PA

Shawnny, great idea for a pattern.
Bruce
Flatstick96July 1st, 2012, 3:07 pm
Oh, I'll be bringing my tying stuff. One advantage to driving up there (instead of flying) is that I can bring pretty much whatever I want. :)

The reason I fish "old standbys" is because I don't possess your creativity, or your patience at the vice. Simple ties like legless PT's and wet black ants push the limits of my tying abilities, and my patience. :)
MartinlfJuly 1st, 2012, 4:22 pm
Palmyra PA

Cool Shawn. You may recall, I've gone over to the dark side and am fishing a lot of tungsten beaded flies, with no split shot. It's worked much better for me than the other way so far this season. My current favorite fly comes from Lance Egan via George Daniel's book. It's called the Iron Lotus and it utilizes a thread body and thread rib. Google it and take a look at the olive versions. I've fished very skinny water with these flies and no split shot and had good results. Hope I can give it a try with you soon.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3July 1st, 2012, 10:43 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

That's a nice looking fly, Louis. Looks like a fish catcher. I'm still partial to the bead-thorax style, but I could be biased.

You'll be happy to know that your baetis biot parachute emerger was the only dry I caught any fish on tonight. A nice tie that one.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
MartinlfJuly 1st, 2012, 11:15 pm
Palmyra PA

Glad it worked for you, Shawn. By the way, I really liked your idea of using marabou on the soft hackle. That's one I will try.

--Fred Chappell
Feathers5July 2nd, 2012, 8:12 am
Posts: 287Oops. Sorry, Louis. I gave Shanny credit for your pattern.
Bruce
MartinlfJuly 2nd, 2012, 9:36 am
Palmyra PA

The softhackle up above? Actually the photo is of Shawn's pattern. Later in the thread, when he mentions the biot parachute emerger he't talking about a fly I designed that is not pictured. I think Tony ties one that is almost identical to it. Shawn deserves full credit for the softhackle fly, and I especially like his idea of using a marabou strand to hackle it.

--Fred Chappell
GutcutterJuly 2nd, 2012, 10:42 pm
Pennsylvania

Shawn, I can really see that fly on a dry/dropper rig during a hatch on our creek where some are taking on the surface, and some are taking in or below the surface. Very nice.
I'll take a dozen, assorted sizes between 18 and 22?
Can you have them ready before I get up therE in two weeks?
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Shawnny3July 2nd, 2012, 11:38 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Sure. You can mail the check directly to my wife. She'll remit me my finder's fee.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
CrepuscularJuly 9th, 2012, 9:14 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Shawn, very cool pattern.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.